Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possible yes, but probably is another issue. How probable?

Anyone can see the mucous saliva coating your mouthpiece after taking it out at the end of a dive. So it's no hidden fact that we swap spit when we do an air share from the primary. Likewise it was no hidden fact that spit (and air) was swapped back when they taught mouth to mouth.

The variables between the study and the conditions involved in an air share are highly different, so I wouldn't use that as the sole example of you should or shouldn't swap primaries in a training scenario; in relation to avoiding Hep C. Now if something were transferred through saliva such as a common cold or strep, then that's a definite no.

We are supposed to choose our buddies --as if they are the most important gear choice. This is just another reason not to FAIL on your responsibility to find good buddies...Don't to be so LAZY that you end up on a dive trip with an "insta-buddy" . :)

Why do we hate air II's? Just read this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scuba-related-court-cases/413916-tina-watson-death-full-story.html. Her husband was using an Air II of some sort. Moral of the story? If you use an Air II device your wife will die and you will spend some time in an Australian prison.

On a more serious note, the most stressful time I had during open water training was when we were practicing our OOA drills. Our shop uses ScubaPro BC's with Air II's and a standard length second stage hose, you have to be almost mask to mask to make this work and it is defiantly not comfortable. I see a lot of divers around here with octo inflators but have only seen a few with a longer second stage hose which I believe is a key ingredient to making this system work.

On a more serious note, the most stressful time I had during open water training was when we were practicing our OOA drills. Our shop uses ScubaPro BC's with Air II's and a standard length second stage hose, you have to be almost mask to mask to make this work and it is defiantly not comfortable. I see a lot of divers around here with octo inflators but have only seen a few with a longer second stage hose which I believe is a key ingredient to making this system work.

That's the idea. You do the air sharing with such a short hose with someone you're intimate with and don't mind exchanging a few germs.:)

Whenever I'm diving with someone else, one of the first things I do is show them where I keep my secondary regulator: the plastic one that I use as an octopus. I make sure that they are clear that the shiny, chromed brass, metal one in my mouth is mine. Don't even think about trying to grab it. It ain't gonna happen.

It ain't gonna happen.
What will you do when it does happen?

In the worst case scenario, a panic diver ( perhaps not even your buddy, but a huge dude in need of air coming out of nowhere ) rips your primary out of your mouth.

I hope you not only travel with your gun, but have it with you U/W.

This exact scenario is why the AIR II works!

Whenever I'm diving with someone else, one of the first things I do is show them where I keep my secondary regulator: the plastic one that I use as an octopus. I make sure that they are clear that the shiny, chromed brass, metal one in my mouth is mine. Don't even think about trying to grab it. It ain't gonna happen.

That's how I feel about my primary but we all know reality doesn't always go to plan but practice and training always helps.

Honestly, if I knew I could completely trust them in cold water, I likely would have it as another option to my LH/BO....

If you donate your primary to your buddy, make sure they are calm, then take your right hand and grasp the right side of their bc and they do the same to you then you have no "mask to mask" problem. If they are in panic mode it doesn't make a dang whether you donate your primary, secondary, or hand them a pony bottle. Ain't nothing going to work real well for a paniced diver. I've been teaching the side by side method since 2001. It does work.

Last edited:
In country western dancing, it is called the dosey doe.

Not only does it work, it can be Fun!

Ah another "urban diving legend".... I'd like to see the medical data behind that one .... a link please?

There isn't any. It's just more pitiful nonsense from the "I hate the AIR II and so should you" crowd.

Hygiene? Really? They're worried about bacteria but yet perfectly willing to jump into an ocean that's literally TEEMING with the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom