When the weather gets "Sporty" here in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I often hear people grouse when wind, waves and weather conspire against them during their visit to the Keys. We even refer to seas over 4/5ft as being "sporty". Sure, you can dive in them: but why? There just happens to be so much to do here in the Keys other than just dive. This thread is devoted to dealing with those Sporty conditions by choosing an activity other than diving. Feel free to help fill these pages out!

Here is my last Saturday's jaunt to Big Pine Key to see the not-so-elusive Key Deer.

BigPineKey01.jpg

Fossil Coral/Lime rock but it looks like snow or soap. Heavens to alien landscapes.

BigPineKey02.jpg

Our first Key Deer of the day

BigPineKey03.jpg

BigPineKey04.jpg

BigPineKey05.jpg

She finally turned to look at us. Other than that, she paid us very little attention.

BigPineKey06.jpg

The whole area is recovering from a recent fire.

BigPineKey07.jpg

The Slash Pines have died from the fire, but the brush is busy making things green again.

Last edited:
BigPineKey08.jpg

Fossil coral with concretions. The layering is just beautiful. Collecting is illegal here so we put this back where we found it.

BigPineKey09.jpg

I think this is Lignum Vitae, an important wood for sailors.

BigPineKey10.jpg

My son, Harrison, looking at the minnows in the mosquito control ditch. These were a first effort to control mosquitoes on the island and were dug by hand. Gombesa fish were introduced to feed on mosquito larvae.

BigPineKey11.jpg

Unfortunately, these ditches are an inadvertent trap for Key Dear Fawns and they often drown in them. They also provide for salt water intrusion of the little fresh water available to the Key Deer. Many have been filled because of this.

BigPineKey12.jpg

Five Key Deer have taken over this lawn.

BigPineKey13.jpg

This buck was heading into the forest as we drove up. I was surprised to see him stop to check us out.

BigPineKey14.jpg

I was even more surprised when he turned around and approached us. I didn't have to crop this picture at all. He mosied right up to the car and was obviously waiting for a handout. Feeding Key Deer is illegal and is bad for the dear.

Last edited:
Grammar Nazi wants you to type deer instead of dear.

Hope you stopped at the No Name Pub while you were there! That pizza....one slice (it's so damn good) and I'm just about stuffed....of course, I pay the price a short while later.

I saw the No Name Pub on No Name Key... but we didn't stop. I'll do that next time the seas are sporty. :D

I <3 that place so much I even bought a shirt. Good pub food, good atmosphere, off the beaten path. One of those "staple a dollar to the wall" places.

I recommend a nice bayside search for pygmy seahorses. Also, we found an amazing spiny orb weaver (spider that looks like it's straight out of Super Mario Brothers) at the Windley Key fossil reef park.

DSCN2733.jpg

I do not recommend wreck diving (or sitting on the boat after calling your dive) in 5-8ft seas. Should've stayed with my seahorses!

Last edited:
Yeah, Key Largo has Sea Horses as well as flat worms and NUDIs. They're just not found on the reefs. :D

Spelling [-]Grammar[/-] Nazi wants you to type deer instead of dear.

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G FASCIST wants you to call it what it is.

OK enough screwing around at Wookie's expense.

My Father in Law lives on No Name Key which is only accessed by a bridge from Big Pine unless you are in a boat or like walking in deep mud..
The DEER are EVERYWHERE!
Some ground rules,
DO NOT FEED THEM(as NetDoc said)!
Yes they are frikkin' cute.
Yes they will approach you.
Yes they are injured by hanging around the roads looking for touristas to offer Doritos, Cheetos, and apples.
Please do not do it.

If you want to see the "little dears"..(snicker, try arguing that syntax Wookie), try to get there earlier in the morning or late evening. Especially if it is summertime hot.
Just like everywhere else Whitetails live, they are most active at these times.
They are moving at night right now also, as it is the day after a full moon.

As far as other things to see on Big Pine, the Blue Hole
Blue Hole (Big Pine Key) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Big Pine Flea Market
"The Flea Market is open to the public from 8am to 2pm (Saturday and Sunday) from the first weekend of October through the last weekend of July. Open until 3pm on Saturday January through March."
Big Pine Key Flea Market
There are also some informal hiking trails on No Name.
There is also the infamous No Name Pub, which is on Big Pine.
Florida Keys: No Name Pub worth finding for novel Keys ambiance | Florida Rambler
A word of warning...The food is fresh and can be very slow to arrive, but the booze come FAST if you are at the AWESOME bar. The Pub is an experience not to be missed...if you have the time.

Chug
Outta' time.
I will get to Crane Hammock and Herbies later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom