What is the Screw Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience viz has more to do with the amount of precipitation the region has had, if we have a snowy winter the spring viz may be effected as all that run off in the region eventually finds it's way to the bays and into the mid-Atlantic. However a mild winter or during the summer when we get several days without rain the viz tends to be better. The currents also play a part in the way the tidal run off is dispersed. We have had both great and poor viz during all months so it's hard to answer that question. Hope that helps.. As for the Screw Wreck or the Marine Electric.. They tend to be far enough from the tidal run off that they "usually" aren't effected as much as some of the closer spots.

As Jeremiah pointed out to be insulated from the " flush effect " going south and east is a good policy. IMHO the very best time to dive oc is in the fall. Warmest water, best vis, cooler surface temps, Greatest threat of being blown out. Last fall we were blessed with flat seas and some spectacular trips in the fall. The year before that we had multiple, consecutive blow outs, very depressing.

How's that for a solid " it's anybodys guess "?
Eric

If you are in it for the dinner, this baby came from a spot not far from the screw wreck. Jeremiah has some good pics from his outings as well. Enjoy
Eric

Attachments

• taug2.jpg
    taug2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 240
Ted put the schedule up at ocdiver.com yesterday. For those of you itching to see the screw, he has a trip scheduled for 5/18. BRRRRRRRRRRRR!

The DD dates listed as cpt. choice I will be on, as well as the tech2 stuff, and a lot of dates in the fall. See you on the boat!
Eric

Eric, I'll be there on the 18th. Its been a while since I last dove the screw and I'm looking forward to seeing any changes. Andrew

Come on Eric, by May 18th it should be balmy out there, we dove (well attempted to dive)V. Beach last Saturday & it wasn't too bad 49 degrees, but the vis was less than 0 if that is possible on the Santori. Really was just a shake down run for the new engine.
Oh by the 18th we will be in Hatteras with that Nasty Blue water & wet suit temps.:D

Hey Bobby,
I am still on the fence for the clark in June with Ted in that nasty blue water of yours. I do not mind the dive in 50 degrees, the hang in 50 degrees is what sucks!
Eric

You need to do the Clark, it is a great dive, June is the time to do it before too much current comes raging by. JT has stopped booking anything deeper than 160 after July because of current. We have the Clark 1st week of June & again mid July.
I definitely got spoiled getting on it. My 1st 2 attempts with no current & 80+ ft of vis. I know of people who have tried numerous times for that trip.
Mid 50 degree hangs certainly do suck, & if Mother Nature comes through for us this weekend we will hope for that warm of temps as we have an unknown site in 250fsw we are trying to hit off VB.

If you guys are hitting a UK in 250fsw, you better be praying for a: upwelling, geothermal, gulf swing, anything you can get to make the hang any better. Good luck and dive safe. I will be anxiously waiting for the report.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom