Trip to KL booked, should I go for Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tracebuzta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First of all thanks for a great forum! I have been a lurker for some time, but I figured its time i signed up :)

I´ve booked tickets to Kuala Lumpur in april, but I cant decide whether I should dive in Malaysia or go for Raja :acclaim:
I´m AOW with about 40 dives...

I am travelling with a non-diver...

Any thoughts or suggestions? :D

Thanks
Michael

How long do you have? Getting to Raja Ampat is quite a trek, even from Kuala Lumpur. And how comfortable are you diving in strong currents? Also, your non-diver companion might not enjoy it as much in Raja Ampat. Bali might a good option for both of you.

First of all thanks for a great forum! I have been a lurker for some time, but I figured its time i signed up :)

I´ve booked tickets to Kuala Lumpur in april, but I cant decide whether I should dive in Malaysia or go for Raja :acclaim:
I´m AOW with about 40 dives...

I am travelling with a non-diver...

Any thoughts or suggestions? :D

Thanks
Michael

I arrive in KL on the 9th of april, and i leave on the 21st of april.

I´m comfortable with currents, and my companion is comfortable reading books while I dive :)

We´ve been to Bali, so I´d like to try something new :)

Peninsular Malaysia diving is ok, tioman, redang and perhentians are all beautiful with more for none diver to relax in the sun. But there is better diving, especially off Borneo Malaysia where you could combine land and dive tours. Just check re the time of the year.

I have dived in Redang, it was ok, but not spectacular...

Maybe I should just stick with my original Layang Layang plan :)

I would defo choose layang layang over redang. If the time of year is good for hammers. Could look at sipadan, April is start of good season I think. But both destinations aren't exactly great for non divers. Especially layang layang that has nothing for non divers unless u plan on spending time on Borneo itself or going to an island destination like Labuan or lankayan.

If you're traveling with a non-diver, first of all, you need land-based, and Raja Ampat is primarily a liveaboard destination, though there are some very nice resorts you could go to with snorkeling available, if your non-diver spouse likes that. April is great at Misool in the southern part of Raja Ampat, or you could to to one of a few resorts in the northern part of Raja Ampat at Pef, Kri, or others.

If you want to stay in Malaysia, don't go to Layang Layang--it's a drag for non-divers. Go instead to Kapalai Dive Reort at Kapalai, which is used to non-divers, to dive Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom