Need help solving mystery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randyg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Please have a look at this video clip, what you will see is on the right hand side a floating black circle, now one would think it is obvious but.
1) the Sony HDR-PJ580 is secured within the Equinox H10 housing
2) the equinox housings outer lense protector does not move and is very secure
3) the cameras built in lense cover is secure
4) I have no issues with the camera on land, only when in the new housing

Now some think it is the image stabilizer, but I can not see that being the case, as when I pan the camera back and forth quickly it changes nothing, this is purely random.

https://vimeo.com/58608961

Any help would be appreciated as I am heading to Mozembique in the next two days and would like to have some clue.

Cheers

If everything is fixed and can not move then it seems like the image stabilizer to me. Image stabilizers have a lot of trouble underwater because they look for contrast and there isn't a lot of contrast so they end up working overtime or too much trying to steady everything. I have noticed this when I apply digital stabilization to my videos after they are shot. When there is a lot of details filling the frame it does well but if there is a lot of open water it fights trying to figure out what is normal movement like bubbles and what needs to be stabilized.

It could be that the lenses field of vision is actually more than is recorded. So the lens can actually see the inside of the housing but you don't see this normally. When the camera stabilizer is working the camera trys to use this extra information to fill in the edges of the clip as it moves the video around to make it steady. This could be why you see the inside of the housing like that.

Thank you, I will shut it off from now on.
I see that the "steady Shot"is set to "standard"

Thank you for your help! I will post back if that fixes it for anyone else that may be experiencing this issue.

:D

Ok gang, here’s an update!
I purchased the equinox housing (actually H6 not H10) for my Sony HDR camera. The camera is awesome, with some great features, but when I put it into the housing it sees the side of the front lense. At first I did not know what it was as it drifted in and out as see in the video clip n the above forum. But actually what it is is that the camera does not line up with the housing, This is a defect in the housing for sure.
The fix, I have to zoom in the camera just a bit to get it to see beyond the housings lens side. It works, but should not have to do this. I have spoken to many professionals as of late regarding this housing, bottom line, buy something else!

Cheers!

Oh I am in Tofo Mozembique, 3 dive in and every dive have had giant Manta's, one dive we had 5 dancing around us! A must place for all!

Back
Top Bottom