Can a video light double as a stills light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have recently been approached by a friend who has been having some difficulty with her strobe with her Canon G11.

She is a good photographer who has decided to part company with her existing strobe for whatever reason and is now looking for a light that can act as a light on its own for day to day diving, a good nightdive light while still being usable for taking photos underwater. I suggested a video light because it will easily perform the first two tasks and I figured having done some EXTREMELY basic testing that with a strong enough light and a tiny bit of tweaking, then she will be fine.

I understand her strobe is specifically designed for the burst of light and the bounce back to the camera BUT, I can see some method to her madness. I have played and lent her one of my Light and Motion SOLA4000s set at a lower output and she was happy with the results so I was wondering if someone had any other ideas or input?

Much appreciated and thanks for reading

Ads

I have taken a lot of pictures using just a couple of Sola Dives. One 800 and one 1200. They give the opportunity to play around with lighting and creating scenes that strobes just cannot do. The Sola 1200 Doubles as divelight for nightdives as well. Love them both

Wonderful. That is exactly what i am finding. It is a LOT easier to play with a constant light to create moods that I have found using a strobe.

Thanks for your response

The output of a video light will always be considerably less than from an external strobe. So, though you will be able to take some pictures with a video light, you will most certainly need to use the largest opening for your lens and a slow shutter speed. That means that you are limited in what you can do with a video light compared to an external strobe.

I'm going to mirror Gusteles comments, constant lighting will work, but will limit the action that you can capture.

When I first started shooting I was immensely frustrated with my strobe, but a very supported experience photographer mentored me and told me to keep experimenting with the strobe, and I'm glad that I did.

Favorites - Kay Wilson's Photos this is a small selection of some of my favourite UW and top side shots

What I found is that by working with the stobe and eventually strobes, is that it not only helped me underwater, it also made me approach my topside photography differently. I like to add light to get the best shot that I can.

Using constant lights will definitely make you appreciate how to use manual settings, and I hope that you will give strobe photography a second look!

I use the Ikelite DS-161. It's now my primary night-dive light, my focus light, and my strobe. I now only carry a small 4xAA backup light.

-Charles

Strobes give you way more light (in a very short burst) than what a constant light can do. So strobes allow you to shoot at base ISO, with smaller apertures and fast shutter speeds, giving you higher quality shots, and also eliminating ambient light if you want, giving you nice black backgrounds.

With a constant light, you will have to open your shutter a lot, open your aperture, raise the ISO, etc., all resulting in a grainier, lower quality picture.

For stills, get a strobe (or 2). Just my 2 cents!

Im new to here Ive been reading a lot on Scubaboard. Im looking to get your opinions please! I was planning to do a Sola 800 photo light with a YS-D1. What do you guys think?

I think it is time some enterprising SnS or Inon produced a light that did all three. Strobe, video and dive light.

I agree. I'd love to get two trifecta lights! :). Don't go stealing my name now SnS or Inon unless I get a free pair. Haha

Back
Top Bottom