Point Lobos Boat Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanstaafl99

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, setup to go dive Pt. Lobos in a couple of weeks. Planning on taking my inflatable down and wanted to get a feel for the Ramp. In particular, how steep is the ramp and the depth at the bottom of the ramp.

Unfortunately the Tilt/Trim is out on the O/B so can't really raise it to drop the boat in super shallow water.

Beyond that, would love to hear any recommendations with regard to Dive spots accessible by boat.

The ramp is not very long. The water depth really depends on the tide. It's really shallow at low tide.

Out of curiosity what boat/outboard do you have?

The ramp drops off very quickly at a lower tide, and will snag a trailer. The depth at the end of the ramp can be as little as 1 foot or less. Watch for surge too as it can push the salt water into your tow vehicle. The steepness is about perfect for me, but I like steep ramps since my trailer is tall, yet as low as it can go. Check the tide charts before deciding which day to dive there with your boat. I can use my inflatable any time pretty much, but have it set up with launching wheels.

You can thank Chuck for the numbers here: GPS For the Monterey Diver

There is also Blue Fish Cove. Make sure to circle wide and avoid the submerged rocks. They can kick up a mean break. Check your charts if unsure. I will often anchor inside the cove and then swim out. Others anchor out deeper and you can easily go to 100ft in no time.

The upper part of the ramp is steep. The lower part isn't steep enough. The ramp ends with a vertical drop-off at about the zero tide line. You gotta pick your days. I don't even try to launch at Lobos unless there a +2.5 tide at both ends of the day.

I once saw a guy break a trailer axle trying to drag the trailer up over the drop off on a low tide.

Chuck

Not sure if the OP knows, but you dump your boat in the water, then drop the trailer up the road. As you head back up the hill you come to a 4 way intersection. Go straight and you will see a sign that says something like "Authorized Personnel Only". Drive right past it and you will see some spots to drop your trailer.

I once saw a guy break a trailer axle trying to drag the trailer up over the drop off on a low tide.
Chuck

My friend Larry and I had to lift someone's trailer up and over the edge as they drove forward. I don't know what he would have done if we weren't there.

Out of curiosity what boat/outboard do you have?

Its an older Avon S4-60 with a Merc 45HP, looks like the Motor on the Tilt/Trim is shot. Fixable but not by next weekend. I can raise the motor by hand if needed and drop it in the water, not a huge deal, just a pain in the rear.

Sounds like you have a similar setup to me, trailer is very tall unfortunately so i definitely prefer a steep ramp. Slippery isn't usually a big deal, worst case i suppose I could winch myself out.

Definitely going to have to look at bluefish cove, everything I've seen looks great.

Now I just need to hope the weather holds.

This thread is worsening my already acute PLLP (Point Lobos Launch Phobia). Seeing the ramp surge this winter and hearing Capt. Phil horror stories doesn't help either.

Tanstaffl99, let us know how things go!

looks like the Motor on the Tilt/Trim is shot. Fixable but not by next weekend.
Check for power at the connections with a volt ohm meter. If okay, remove the motor and check it for rust and sticking. It might just need a cleaning. Should be a pretty simple system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom