Idea for getting back without a walk through transom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well - to be fair. You copied and pasted a small ladder that he made for a private boat to be mounted under a swim platform - then compared it to your large charter boat.

Wouldnt the more fair comparison be the ladders he made for large dive boats?

Either way - must be regional as like I said - Most dive boats have the T style up here. Im sure there is someone without it - but I dont know of any.

Maybe the regional thing has to do with the fact that there is more gear that a NE diver is likely wearing - who knows.

Out of the pictures he has on the website, the most fair comparison was the one listed - the rest of his ladders pictured go 4-5 feet out of the water, or are for small outboard engine boats in which the top platform is ridiculously small... that boat has the closest swim platform to the one on our boat...

theres always this one:
IMG_0444.JPG
which is a hard boat to put any type of ladder on to start at all, however, look at that top platform - you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that fins will fit on that top step, thus negating the advertised benefit of walking up with fins on.

Out of the pictures he has on the website, the most fair comparison was the one listed - the rest of his ladders pictured go 4-5 feet out of the water, or are for small outboard engine boats in which the top platform is ridiculously small... that boat has the closest swim platform to the one on our boat...

theres always this one:
IMG_0444.JPG
which is a hard boat to put any type of ladder on to start at all, however, look at that top platform - you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that fins will fit on that top step, thus negating the advertised benefit of walking up with fins on.

All of his ladders go 4-5 feet underwater.

That one is a SMALL ladder for a outboard boat - thats an unfair comparison. I will see if Enrique has any of his large charter pics that I can post. This guy is know for tech diving with some big names in the dive world and he works with charters and organizations from all over the world. His stuff is pretty amazing ( not jus this ladders) and priced that way to, unfortunately:wink:

And - your boat is one of those that has the advantage that it was designed as a dive boat and the transom is accomodating as a walkthrough. . Thats a lucky advantage and as I said - I only know of 1 boat like that in the NE.

Check Out Boatladder.com I have one , it works great!
My wife has a bad back, so we simply tie a fairly thin line w/ a snap to the transom eye - when she comes up, she inflates her BC, loops the line around the shoulder straps, and secures it via the snap. Then gets on the boat sans gear via the ladder - I pull up her gear. We also had another set up on the opposite side but some dope took off w/out checking and the props cut that line :shakehead::rofl3:

The reason you want a thin line is its easier to work with - while putting snaps at intervals as you suggested may work, the line as suggested will work better - and with the exception of making sure its out of the way before you take off, has worked well for us since 1985. You are correct in saying swim ladders were not meant for a diver in full gear, and our system works best w/ integrated weights.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 04:59 PM ----------

Contender Boats have walk through transoms!
All of his ladders go 4-5 feet underwater.

That one is a SMALL ladder for a outboard boat - thats an unfair comparison. I will see if Enrique has any of his large charter pics that I can post. This guy is know for tech diving with some big names in the dive world and he works with charters and organizations from all over the world. His stuff is pretty amazing ( not jus this ladders) and priced that way to, unfortunately:wink:

And - your boat is one of those that has the advantage that it was designed as a dive boat and the transom is accomodating as a walkthrough. . Thats a lucky advantage and as I said - I only know of 1 boat like that in the NE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom