WB Hero3 black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qasar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all gopro afficionados
I'm not sure how to handle the white balance issue. As said in anothe rpost I will have a SRP CYD filter (I discover 3 weeks shipping, it should come swimmiong...). I have made a template with white, black and medium grey squares that I intend to use at the begining of my movies (once at depth), then using a post prod soft to select white, grey and black. Is that the right way? In this case do I have to deactivate the autowhite, for using what "raw" or else???? Do i have to use protune?
Is the WB influenced by the filter, I mean do I have to take care of the extra red in the post prod, do I have to use lights? I read a lot about that filter vs lights and I cannot make my mind.
So a lot of questions to clear up my mind.
Any help appreciated.
Qasar

Hey Qasar,

I saw your video in the Persian Gulf. Haven't dove near Abu Dhabi but further out by Oman onthe Daymaniat Islands (totally recommended if you live in the area and have a chance to come over) and Bhandar Khairan (near Muscat - not so great diving, much worse visibility). You can dive with the folks from Extra Divers at Al Sawadi to go the the Islands, they are great. In Muscat, stay away from Extra Divers, the guy that runs their ops there is an a-hole.

I did about 10 dives there and in all of them, with no exception, there was a thick green cast due to the thermocline and associated organic matter/algae - they are very evident in the Gulf, you can clearly feel the temperature differences and even see with bare eyes different viscosity waters mixing. Balancing the green out of your videos will be a challenge with filters or not!

The awb/raw/protune question I will pass, I haven't fiddled around too much in post-processing. As of the filters, they do influence the WB as they absorb green/blue so the camera can work with whatever is left to enhance the reds. You can use filters and still bump the reds in post-processing if you feel like you need, no problem there. You can also use lights at the same time, but make sure you are using LED lights (otherwise you will get a red cast) and that the beams are wide and soft - you may need 2 video lights to cover the whole frame, but that is pretty expensive.

Hello toozler
Thank you for your comments. I dove in Daymaniat islands, it's a great place. One of the dive site is called the aquarium... Fujaira (Kor Fakam) and Mussamdan area are also great places to dive.
For the camera I think I will do some experience with different WB and buying some lights, but my first goal is to enjoy my dive and I don't want to end up with a magnificent kit that grabs all my attention. In fact in my country we call that the "Japanese syndrome" where people spend more time taking pictures than really looking around...

For the camera I think I will do some experience with different WB and buying some lights, but my first goal is to enjoy my dive and I don't want to end up with a magnificent kit that grabs all my attention. In fact in my country we call that the "Japanese syndrome" where people spend more time taking pictures than really looking around...

LOL! That happens to me sometimes above water. It's why I probably won't get the LCD bacpac. Too distracting.

Well I bought it but don't use it underwater as I use the battery backpack. If you have two dives you need it...

Hi all gopro afficionados
I'm not sure how to handle the white balance issue. As said in anothe rpost I will have a SRP CYD filter (I discover 3 weeks shipping, it should come swimmiong...). I have made a template with white, black and medium grey squares that I intend to use at the begining of my movies (once at depth), then using a post prod soft to select white, grey and black. Is that the right way? In this case do I have to deactivate the autowhite, for using what "raw" or else???? Do i have to use protune?
Is the WB influenced by the filter, I mean do I have to take care of the extra red in the post prod, do I have to use lights? I read a lot about that filter vs lights and I cannot make my mind.
So a lot of questions to clear up my mind.
Any help appreciated.
Qasar

Use 2.7K Protune and Cam Raw, or 1080p 50p Protune Cam Raw....up to you.

Use Cineform Studio to do color correction.
I won't explain in long details, but it is great for Cam Raw mode to be color corrected later and in fact Cam Raw need color correction. When shallow and in good light, shoot that WHITE template you speak of to later set the white balance in Cineform Studio AVI and render in any editor capable of recognizing Cineform AVI ( AVI is PC speak, Mac speak will be Cineform MOV ).

SRP CYAN for clear blue water compliments HD3 very well.
At deeper than 10 meters, it is a great help when used with Cam Raw feature because red color spectrum lost already, so that CYAN reduced other color spectrum and you get back the red in equal parts....sort of . Do activate Cam Raw as Protune can be set to AWB too.

Have fun...

Back
Top Bottom