Sunscreen for tropical diving -- no eye burning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeraSonnet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have you found a waterproof sport sunscreen that works well for you when diving in salt water? I have not found the right one yet for the Caribbean diving we love, and will especially need it this summer for Bonaire shore diving. My eyes get very sensitive to sunscreen once my face gets wet. No matter how much I try to keep it away from my eyes, and wash it off my hands before messing with my dive mask, I often get burning in my eyes once underwater with the mask on. At one point I wondered if I might have a sensitivity to de-fog, but it has happened sometime while just swimming in the ocean without a mask. Do not seem to have such a problem in fresh water with sunscreen playing on the lakes here around Atlanta.

Try this one.

31H8XZI4IkL.jpg

I think this is what we used in MX last year. Didn't burn my eyes.

Alocohol based bullfrog works pretty well. However, i prefer to use a lycra hood and shirt for sun protection.

Not knowing the make-up of what you may use make sure it does not transfer to the inside of your mask lens. There is a good chance it is the antithesis of anti-fog and you'll be reaching for the toothpaste to mop up the mess.

I use Soleo. Reef friendly, zinc oxide based. One application and I can dive all day without burning.

Plus one for reef safe- have also found it eye safe, but I still avoid application to my face between dives, and I towel off before diving if I have applied any the day of diving. Before switching to reef safe and doing the towel-off, I had known the agony of irritants in the eyes during a dive more than once.
DivemasterDennis

I recently switched to the Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-touch Sunblock, which has been great for me. (FWIW, apparently getting the exact right variety is important. My old Neutrogena stuff would cause irritation with my mask.)

Anything that goes on like cottage-cheese works.

Also- give yourself a good half hour before diving when you apply sunscreen. If you're doing a morning dive, apply before breakfast- it's good for at least an hour, and has time to absorb properly.

Back
Top Bottom