Little Cayman cell phone coverage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen Triggerfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read a couple years worth of Little Cayman posts yesterday and didn't see this mentioned.

Does anyone know how the cell phone coverage is in Little Cayman? I have Verizon and like use my phone on trips (mostly just for texting my mother for her peace of mind - not to have extended conversations when I should be enjoying the diving, weather, and surroundings!). It's been fine in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, etc. Just curious if anyone has any experiences in Little Cayman. I'll be staying at LCBR.

Thanks in advance.

There is both CDMA (VZW) and GSM coverage (AT&T/T-Mobile) coverage in the Caymans.

Beware that if you use your existing phone for voice, you will be subject to ENORMOUSLY EXPENSIVE roaming fees with either service.

If you are only doing text messages and you and your mom have an iphone, remember that it's free to SMS each other.

Texting will cost you around $1/message in and out. Whatsapp is also a cool option if you and your mom are a little tech savvy.

Best option is use the hotel internet for Skype.

Best option is use the hotel internet for Skype.

Thanks a lot. I would only be texting (not even daily, just an occasional, "Everything's wonderful here!" message) and I think it's typically about 25 cents on Verizon when I'm in the Caribbean. I actually would prefer to just use email, but I've read in a few places that their wifi can be spotty or inconsistent. So phone is actually my back-up plan in case I can't get wifi access. (I'll have my laptop because when I leave Little Cayman I'll be going straight to another U.S. destination where I will have to work.)

Thanks!

When it comes to all things monetary, do not use "the Caribbean" as a yardstick against Cayman. The Caymans are beautiful but oh so different when tt comes to spending money...remember that.

I use my iPad and iPhone at LCBR and never have a problem, except until I get home and see my bill if I have forgotten to get an international data pack. I'm on Rogers (Canada) and get service in the Caymans, Cozumel, Utila, etc with no problem but the roaming bill.... ; > (

I have stayed all over that island and your Verizon phone will work fine. Mine is a quad band, so will work everywhere. BUT. I would recommend turning your data roaming settings off for your trip and making sure that you are enabled for international calling (call Verizon). If you do not, you will have data transfers from your active apps and even WITH an international data roaming package, it is expensive. I would use Wi Fi (works fine at LCBR, but you may have to go outside of your room), and text, which will operate on the phone network and I think is free for incoming and .50 cents for outgoing. Have fun!

And I saw your spearfishing question. Only the DMs can pole spear a lionfish in the marine park.

Careful. VZW is never free for incoming (or outgoing) anything. Cayman carriers may offer free incoming but not US based carriers. And the OP has a US phone.

We have Verizon wireless and set up international roaming BEFORE we leave the U.S. The cost is usually about $20 or less. My wife uses various services including phone and data. You must also cancel the service or Verizon will keep charging you.

You have to tell Verizon where you will be located. Once they set her up for Jamaica by mistake and she was even able to work that out from Little Cayman.

Phone use has been really good in the Cayman Islands with Verizon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom