Dealing with fishing line at St. Andrew's Jetty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planing on a camping trip to St. Andrews this June and wanted to dive the Jetties on the channel side. (I've been to St. Andrews before but have never dove the jetties). Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the fishing lines/hooks. Obviously I'm going to take a knife and shears but I'm more interested in finding out if there's any kind of etiquette established between those fishing and those diving that I should follow or expect those fishing to follow. If anyone has any experience I would appreciate it; I'd like to avoid getting kabbobed down there...

Your talking about St. Andrews in north fl right? If so when I dove there I never had a issue with any kind of fishing line, more jelly fish than anything lol.

Never been hit.

It's difficult to bottom fish there because you'll lose your rig, though, there's a fair bit of lead tangled among the lost line down there. Your best bet is to tow a flag, but it's still a risk whenever you share and area with fishers.

Interestingly, my closest calls with live hooks and lead have always been offshore, where there are literally thousands of other places to drop a line. :idk:

I have dove there many times, even with a dive flag you will get those people that will cast right over the flag. My solution is carry scissors and cut the line if you see it in front of you, but depending on the vis, you may or may not see the line. Just try to be very aware of your surroundings.

Last summer I dove the jetties twelve times. I go at high tide or as close as possible. Most Fisherman dont enjoy sitting or standing in water. Hightide covers most of the kiddie pool rocks. Weekdays are way less crowded for divers.

Your talking about St. Andrews in north fl right? If so when I dove there I never had a issue with any kind of fishing line, more jelly fish than anything lol.
Yes, I was talking about St. Andrews in PCB North FL. (Should've been more specific, Sorry)
Sounds like I just need to tow a flag and be as careful as I can. I was mostly concerned about someone "hooking" me then trying to reel me up. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I was talking about St. Andrews in PCB North FL. (Should've been more specific, Sorry)
Sounds like I just need to tow a flag and be as careful as I can. I was mostly concerned about someone "hooking" me then trying to reel me up. Thanks for the replies.

Yep when I was there ( couples years ago I admit ) there were no fisherman on the rocks I actually still have a pic of that jetty somewhere on my laptop. A flag is mandatory on the channel side and there was a strong current but well worth it! I'll post a pick of the rocks to give you a better idea if you wish just let me know :).

GOPR0005.jpgGOPR0061.jpgGOPR0212.jpgGOPR0313.jpg

Some of the rocks at St. Andrews jetty.

Yep when I was there ( couples years ago I admit ) there were no fisherman on the rocks I actually still have a pic of that jetty somewhere on my laptop. A flag is mandatory on the channel side and there was a strong current but well worth it! I'll post a pick of the rocks to give you a better idea if you wish just let me know :).

Absolutely! any pics would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom