BCD and Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TillysWilly

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I have a scuba pro bc and reg set that I dont really care for that much and its getting pretty old so time to upgrade. I was wondering what everyone thought about the Zeagle Stiletto BCD and the Mares Instinct 12S 1st and 2nd stage? The reviews iv read on some websites dont have hardly any bad things to say about it. But was wondering what everyone here thought about them. Thanks in advanced for the help as well.

Top line gear from name brand manufacturers- they all test out pretty well in magazines... surprise! They also work very well in real life- that's the business that they are in, making SCUBA gear.

To a great extent, the minute differences in a BC are just that. It may take years of diving before you could walk up to any two BC's and understand how the differences in them would affect you. It's really a matter of where they put this control or that fastener... and in this case: where they put the buoyancy bladders.

I have a Stiletto (and 4 other BC's). I got the Stiletto because it packs down very minimal space and I needed that specific application. I have two BPW set ups as well, one sans back plate. I also have a standard Jacket BC like they gave you in the pool sessions.

The Stiletto closely mirrors the BPW in that all of the inflation buoyancy is rear of your center line. I prefer that set up when I am underwater. However I do prefer the standard stab jacket BC when I am wanting to float (face up and high) on the surface which is something that is not generally a good idea, anyway.

There is no set answer on this, but you will get a lot of negative votes on anything short of BPW. This is because they are generally black in color and when you use them, well, chicks dig it.

As long as the BC can be adjusted to your body, you're good to go. Can you test-dive one? If not, always try it on and sit in the shop with a reg set and tank- then work the BC controls while sitting there on the carpet. You can learn a lot that way.

High end regs- they're all about the same except in extreme conditions (ice diving, etc).

If the shoe fits wear it!

I recently changed over to BPW last year, what a revelation. As Roatan Man says above make sure that you try the BCD with a tank fitted at least to check the comfort, and even better if you can pool test it or try it out on a proper dive. One of my LDS has managed to sell several Dive Rite travel wings by doing just that recently.

Same goes for regs really, try then buy

I was wondering what everyone thought about the Zeagle Stiletto BCD and the Mares Instinct 12S 1st and 2nd stage?
Both are good products, respected manufacturers. Three comments:

1. Without knowing anything about your diving and preferences, it is hard to know what your criteria were for picking these two particular units. Therefore, it is not possible to say whether these are the best two models for your type of diving.

2. While Mares is a respected company (I have a bullet-proof Mares MR12 reg that performs well; I have been diving Quattros since I started), my one concern is the unpredictability of Mares parts / product availability in the US. I do not think we have had a Mares order in our shop the past 5 years that was not shorted at least one item. I waited 10 months at one point for reg service parts for one of my second stages.

3. The Stiletto is a great BCD. Zeagle makes several other BCDs that are often considered by people looking at the Stiletto (e.g. Scout, Express Tech) so, depending on your preferences and goals, there may be a few additional good options from that manufacturer for you to consider.

Which reg do you have? Is there something wrong with it? I can understand wanting to change bc's but unless you just have money burning your pocket or something is actually wrong with the reg that a good service won't cure, personally, I wouldn't change regs. But that's just my opinion. As far as the Zeagle Stiletto goes, not a thing wrong with it. Mares, I defer to Colliam. I'm sure he has a lot more experience with them than I do.

Stiletto is awesome, I paired with and Atomic B2 and love them both

Unfortunately, I can't speak for either of the specific models that you have chosen, but I have a Zeagle Ranger that is a quality BCD. It has been through 500 plus dives (it was previously owned) with no issues. Additionally, I had to get some post screws for the cummerbund and Zeagle sent them for free. I can't speak highly enough of their customer service.

Cetainly nothing wrong with Zeagle products, I own several of them. They make great BCs and regs. That said, depending on what SP reg you already have, there well may be no need to change...if for example you are thinking of replacing a MK-5 or 10 with 109 or 156 seconds, pretty much anything new you replace it with will be a down grade. Don't confuse new with better, often times it's not.

Zeagle's a great company, the Stiletto is a great BCD (I used a Stiletto LTD for a while). That said, I don't know why anyone would want one over a classic BP/W rig, objectively speaking.

Hard to beat the Z Stiletto and Atomic B2.....

which SP reg are you dis-pleased with ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom