Diving in Virginia Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No joy!!

Here's a copy of the email he sent to me this morning.

Hey Randy, @ one point I thought about putting dive trips together but my hydra is equipped for only 4. That makes it a little cost prohibitive. I could bring 6 & rotate equip front to back but with the requirement of having a dive master & my own equip. in case of emergency it would just be too crowded. So barring moving up to a bigger boat won't be running any. Sorry.

Randy,

Oh well,...thought he was still running dive charters...

If you're interested in hitting the dive sites off North Florida, you know where my boat will be for the next 14 months.

Will

I know and we will be traveling through your area a few times this season. I will let you know our schedule. I saw Mike D yesterday and we are already planning logistics for the trip down.

I just want to thank everyone for their input. It looks like I'll have to be satisfied with the Miss Lindsey and LDC. I have some friends who live in the area but don't dive, but I have them looking around for me anyway. Again thanks for the information and hope everyone has a great season in 2013.

Scott sinclare has it listd that he can run dive charters as well he runs charters for marine concepts out of vinnings landing but has access to a batch of boats so might be worth a shot.

Hey will how is Fl treating ya??

Mike,

Florida living is...well, wonderful. Had the boat out twice to enjoy the day out of Mayport. Will be headed there next week to start my sidescan/dive site hunting adventure. Mike D is coming down to make a dive with me the week after next. Might head down to your hometown and give a local dive shop trip a try. Haven't yet built up a group of diving buddies down here yet.
MMI is going well too. Now in my sixth week of classes. Can't say enough good things about the school.

For the Thread: Diving off Va Beach can be great but as already stated you need to monitor the weather and prepare yourself for the diving conditions. I would check out the opportunities at Marine Concepts (Vinings Landing Marine Center) as Kapoc points out as well as LDC. There are so many fantastic diving sites off the Virginia coast, don't let others convince you not to try it.

Safe Diving,
Will

LDC is the last of the mohicans here in VB as far as commercial boats go. Nice boat with plenty of room inside and out. JT runs here in the spring and fall normally but he is going to try to stay in HI as long as the season allows this year.

Beach dives can be done but there is nothing but sand and a few fish to see, if you can even see anything due to the poor vis.

Hit me up when you guys come down and I'll jump with you. I dive the Lindsey fairly regularly.

Since you dive the Miss Lindsey a lot, maybe you or someone else here can help me (or give me peace of mind).

I took a hiatus from diving for several years and am just getting back into it (started up again in October and took a class just a few weeks ago). I had all my training and the vast majority of my dives were in San Diego. Even the intro to tech class I just took was in San Diego (I know divers and instructors out there--and it just felt more comfortable going back to my old territory to start up diving again).

But I live in the DC area now and I am looking to dive out of Virginia Beach this summer--at least one dive a month. Quarries and lakes are okay, but I really love ocean and wreck diving. But I don't know many divers in the area/have any buddies.

Is it easy to find buddies on the Miss Lindsey? I am a bit concerned about signing up, bringing all my gear down there, getting on the boat and then not being able to dive since I don't have a buddy. Out west, it was easy for me since I knew so many people. Here, not so much.

One other question... when does the water warm up around here? I am not drysuit trained, but am used to diving in a 7mm wetsuit in 50 degree water and I do fine as cold as that. The coldest dive I ever did in a wetsuit was 45 degrees, that was a bit too cold for me.

Thank you so much in advance. :)

Sealionesse, you should consider Ocean City too. It is a little closer than Virginia Beach, and there are a bunch of wrecks offshore. I'd have to check my logs for the actual temps, but I've always dove with a drysuit - as I do when I dive in San Diego. Jrmiah, who runs OC Dive Boat, frequently posts here. I never had any problems doing the insta-buddy thing from his boat. In fact, I may be diving a uboat (USS Blenny) this Sunday.

Thanks Katch! I found them online and am looking into OC. The nice thing is I have relatives that live near there, so I can maybe couch surf (and visit) after dives.

Back
Top Bottom