Female BCD Hera v Oceanic Excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a beginner scuba diver, having only completed 26 dives. I am now diving each weekend and have decided to buy my first BCD. I am tossing up between the women’s Hera and the Oceanic Excursion. Any tips on each of these and which one you suggest for me?

I know one has the balanced inflation system and the other has the back inflation. I am not sure if one is better than the other.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

All of that so much depends on what you want to do, how it fits, etc. That said, my wife has a Hera, and on a boat at Cozumel in December, all three women aboard had a Hera BCD. They all loved them. Not sure what that's worth, but it isn't uncommon for my wife to run into another female diver who is using one too.

Selection of a BCD is a very personal choice. Have you tried either of these two own? What BCD have you used in your dives? And what about these two caught your interest?

I personally do not like the jacket style BCD. I have never dove with one but I felt too confined and too "heavy" trying them on in the shop. I have used a back inflate Oceanic Islander from almost my first dive and I love it. It is light weight but is weight intergrated and has 2 pockets but otherwise very streamlined. Very good for travel. Would not have enough lift for cold water diving though. My husband just switched from an Excursion to a BP/W setup but hasn't dove with the new setup so can not compare. I can say that the intregrated weight system on his Excursion is a really pain. And essential no truly usable pocket. I don't know if the newer version has improved either of these points.

The most important part of the selection process is trying them out, on a dive if possible but at least in the shop for fit and feel.

I also know of a lady who has a Hera and she loves hers. I just looked at one on the net and it looks nice and the weight pouches appear to have a clip instead of velcro which is much better in my opinion. Just make sure you try them on and dive in one if possible before you buy.

I have just gone from a Hera, which I have had for years and been very happy with, to an Excursion 2, which I have only dived with twice so far. I find the Excursion to be far more comfortable on me, yet friends of mine prefer the Hera. By comparison, I find the Hera to be very restrictive and cumbersome. I would suggest trying both on as a minimum, if possible do a dive in each so you know what works better for you.

Well, the Hera is billed as a hybrid and is supposed to be less cumbersome than traditional jacket style. I like the ability to adjust the fit and the weight pockets are a great design with clip and Velcro.

That being said --I don't like that the storage pockets aren't very useable when the jacket is inflated and I really don't like how heavy the BCD is for travel.

It is very comfortable, but I may switch to a back inflate at some point if I can find the right one. Good luck with your decision!

I used to dive a Hera for a few years. A very comfortable & adjustable BC. I really liked it (Had to switch BC's as an instructor to match what the students use). A very comfy BC, with padding in all the right areas. The only downside to the Hera is, it is rather heavy & bulky & doesn't pack as well as some other BC's, I've seen. That said, I took the Hera with me to Malaysia a few years ago.

Fit is everything in a BC, so buy the one that fits you the best. IMO it doesn't matter what works for me or anyone else, or what the most popular one is, it is the one that works best for YOU that is the "best" BC.

Fit is everything in a BC, so buy the one that fits you the best. IMO it doesn't matter what works for me or anyone else, or what the most popular one is, it is the one that works best for YOU that is the "best" BC.

Now that I have looked into women's BCDs more I am now tossing up between the Excursion, the Lotus and the Libra. There are so many to chose from but now I have narrowed down the decision to 3.

I am able to try the Excursion in the water before I buy it which is handy but the other two will be just a guess.

Does anyone have a preference between these 3 options.

My decision has been narrowed because it is argued that the rear inflation is best for boyancy control.

My decision has been narrowed because it is argued that the rear inflation is best for boyancy control.

To me, buoyancy control is all about proper weighting, having a good breathing technique, and practice. I have both a jacket style BC as well as a rear inflate. One is no better than the other when it comes to buoyancy. Don't know who told you that a BI was better for buoyancy but I'd question anything else they told you.

Back
Top Bottom