A few thoughts--Avalon UW clean up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I just read the article and the post on the Avalon UW clean up...

I agree Ken Kurtis deserves a huge THANK YOU!

Ken has stepped up to fill the huge gap left in California diving with the gradual phasing out of the early generations of involved divers. The current crop of bubble blowers certainly owe Ken a big debt of gratitude for all he has done in the immediate past for the SoCal diving community

A few thoughts about the history of the "UW Clean Up"

It is appropriate that credit is given to long forgotten Lilian "Lil" Lancaster, the then wife of dive boat Captain Arnie Lancaster (Arnie's Reef?) who developed the concept of an Avalon Underwater Clean Up. Lil single handed organized and created the event so many years ago. I can't place an exact date on the first Avalon UW clean up and can not find anything in my files noting the date. My cloudy memory supports either very late 1960s of possibly the early 1970s- I just can't place a reference point to the date. I do recall the weather was warm and I wore a blue LA Co Underwater Instructor program warm up suit, which were available in the late 1960s to about 1980s.

The current Avalon UW clean up bears little resemblance to the original Avalon Clean up. I was a participant of the original clean up- What an event! So many years ago..

The mid week boat trip was free gratis supplied by the diving fleet .
The bottom trash had not been touched for generations...it was akin to digging through an archaeological till--one generation under neath the previous generation. After a short time the familiar soft drink bottles began disappearing and strange bottles with equally strange shapes and names began appearing. At that time in history the strange looking bottles were considered trash, today they would be considered antique collectable bottles and possibly worth considerable money.

I would seem appropriate that a representative from a Catalina Island organization be present examine the unique bottles recovered on the forth coming Avalon UW clean for possible antique bottles that may have escaped being uncovered on all the previous events.

All to soon the burlap bags were filled and stored on the decks of the boats and we all headed to the mainland. In mid channel we momentary stopped to toss the full bags of trash over board. Modern and antique bottles were unceremoniously tossed over board, committed to the briny deep forever
--all that history of the early visitors to Avalon and their disposable trash gone forever.

As we docked at San Pedro we were met by Mavis Hill,a popular dive author of that era snapped my picture as I was walking up the gang plank which later appeared as the lead article about the clean up in either one of the two popular magazines of that era, "Skin Diver" Magazine or "Dive" .

Yes, History, the very short history of So Cal and California recreational diving is being lost at a rapid rate....Now diving history is preceded by "I think, I suppose, I heard, I was told..."

Yes Ken Kurtis is doing a fantastic job keeping alive the ever expanding an event started so many years ago by Lil Lancaster

BRAVO KEN!

I can only imagine the treasures that must have been brought up in those early years, Sam. One man's trash is another's treasure. I remember when I first moved to the island in the late 60s, Catalina tile was abundant and we tossed out a lot of it (along with furniture made at the Catalina Furniture factory)... now considered pieces of history.

The great effort by divers over the decades (and an increasing awareness of responsibility by boaters coming here) has left the harbor floor far cleaner than it was years ago. Of course good winter storms can unearth new treasures... and trash.

BRAVO KEN!

Much as I appreciate anyone going out of their way to extoll my alleged virtues, I can't claim credit where none is due.

Although I'm an active participant in the Cleanup and even have the BS Award named after me (now known as "The Silver-Tongued Devil Award" for the best BS story about the trash found), I don't have anything to do with the actual planning, organizing, or running of this fabulous event.

That credit goes to Jill Boivin who has chaired the Cleanup for a numnber of years now. She gets help from people like Tina Kennedy (Catalina Scuba Luv), Tom Turney, Catalina Conservancy Divers, and others, but Jill's the driving force there and deserves accolades for taking on this challenge year after year.

So much as I appreciate the tip of the hat, Sam, I don't deserve it. The appaluse should all be directed Jill's way.

- Ken

I wonder why the shops don't promote this activity more? I think that most divers simply don't know about the Avalon Clean Up.

I agree- Our shop (Sharkys Eco Diving) had 28-30 people there last year, and I think about the same this year. Many of us spend the night or the weekend (some of us are diving all 3 days this year). It really is a great way to get your divers together.

I wonder why the shops don't promote this activity more?

Some shops (and clubs) chose not to promote Chamber Day either. That fact has been a great source of puzzlement and frustration for us for 25 years now. But it is what it is.

And commenting on Merxlin's post . . .

Sharky's has been doing a lovely job of promoting and getting people to attend both Chamber Day and Chamber Eve, sponsnroing a boat (Sundiver Express) on Ch-Day and taking three tables (30 people) at Ch-Eve. Much appreciated!!!

- Ken

I'd like to add that Dennis Reitinger, who passed away in 2006 worked hard to make it an annual event beginning in 1980. Catalina Divers gave free air fills for all participants.

And now we get to dive Lovers Cove!
I'll be going Friday as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom