Dead dolphin at Veterans Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all of you who cut and cleaned up the line. That's my hand in the orange gloves in the video. It was a very said site to see in person. Let's hope this preventable tragedy isn't repeated.

Sadly I am reporting another dead dolphin at Redondo Beach Vets park Feb 13, 2013. This one is again off the lower stairs in about 30' of water. No signs of foul play or visible injury. Dolphin 2 on Vimeo for a short video. This makes 3 reported dolphin deaths in the same general area. The second I've come across personally. WTH!!!

On animals it's a necropsy...
Thanks. Completely unfamiliar territory to me, but I'm wondering if there was no coincidence.

I wonder if its possible to get an autopsy?

There are some that are working on finding that out. and also looking to recover the body. There are a lot of us who dive Redondo on a weekly basis and this is not the norm. There are a lot of questions to be answered. Maybe Dr. Bill might have some info on who to contact for a necropsy

Well, let's be honest. Most dolphins that are caught/ tangled in fishing gear (or navigation lines, for that matter...) are killed. This rescue in Hawaii is exquisitely rare. Around the world, an estimated 1,000 dolphins, whales and porpoises are killed in fishing gear EVERY DAY! This is the reality of seafood. But I digress, that was not the topic of this thread.

I will say, however, that if seeing those dolphins killed at Redondo has upset you, then please think about what you are eating...

On the topic of think about what you're eating: The "certified" seafood rating is a myth. A company just has to pay money, answer a self questionnaire and get a piece of paper allowing them to put a sticker on the package.

And no McFish! I think I threw up in my mouth a little!

On topic thank you for assisting in trying to remove the lines etc. that are entangling these dolphins. Is there some agency that would get involved to assist with determining why this is happening? Are the dolphins juveniles? Are the lines intentionally baited for dolphins?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

We just came back from my home in Los Barriles where we were fortunate enough to clear over 370 lbs (dry weight) of netting, nav and mono line from only 4 sites at Coronado Is. (Loreto) We were blown out by high winds before we could complete the project scheduled for this trip. You'd weep if saw the animals killed by this disaster. There aren't enough divers in the world to make even a dent - gotta start somewhere though, I suppose.

Next trip is planned for June where we intend to survey and address an area near Cabo Pulmo (fish line, nav and small craft rigging pollution) - sportfishing pollution has been predominant in this area since at least the late 1940's and since it's basically my local dive site . . .

Straight out in front of the main stairs at Vets, On 1/26/14 I saw a post at 96' with two lines tied to it...about 4 inches off the ocean floor.. running out at about 15 degrees apart approx. south west....I'm not convinced that the culprit is navigation lines....There are knots at strange places, and Phil saw a float attached to the line...The lines also look to thick..

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom