Nortes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:( thanks for the update. I'll be there tomorrow. Supposed to do a refresher dive mid-afternoon. We shall see....

EDIT: And, yes, how was the east side with Aldora? They seem like a fantastic op too. I'd definitely head out to the east side with them, and will probably at least go looking for the rays in the afternoon with them, if they're still doing that.

I don't know about Cozumel because today we are in Valledolid. But a pretty good wind was rocking the top of the pyramid at Ek Balam today and it has picked up even more this evening. I suspect Cozumel is getting the same system.

Today we were able to take our divers north to the Galleon and Hanan (an incredibly experience), but we expect the winds to shift a little to the east so we cannot do the north tomorrow, but there are plenty good sites to the south on the east side and no one will have to miss diving. On the other hand, we'll just have to wait on the wind gods!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Liang was DM, and they did Hanaan and cannons. Sorry Dave, didn't see you there while I was typing. Hanan and the Galleon, then.

Nobody saw Sallye. She didn't get the call. :depressed:

Hope the 26 days goes very fast on your end, Joe, but not too fast on mine!

Aldora afternoon eagle ray dives are still running when there are divers. Saw at least 30 yesterday, not counting those that were probable repeats later. Counting repeats? I'd venture a guess of 50-60+.

A couple of days before that, we saw about as many, but the really fabulous part was when they got into the cut and started performing underwater aerobatics - banking, soaring up and down, rolling, chasing one another... Words fail to express how breathtaking a sight it was...

Not looking promising on Wunderground.com. :sad: How can you have 20 mph winds and fog together? :confused:

If the Mayans had a wind god by name, that info was lost with the book burnings. :mad: Blame it on Mictlanpachecatl, Aztec god of the North wind, and offer tequila sacrifices to Ehecatotontli, gods of the breezes.

Well, if I am diving the southern part of the east side tomorrow, I'll offer toasts to the gods of diving and breezes! :cheers:
Tonight I will be sleeping in earplugs if the screaming of the wind against the seaside windows continues!

Not looking promising on Wunderground.com. :sad: How can you have 20 mph winds and fog together? :confused:

If the Mayans had a wind god by name, that info was lost with the book burnings. :mad: Blame it on Mictlanpachecatl, Aztec god of the North wind, and offer tequila sacrifices to Ehecatotontli, gods of the breezes.

Don't rely on Wunderground for "norte" information...Buoyweather is typically spot on or at least within a couple of hours and don't judge tomorrow on what the wind is doing right now. It slows down and/or changes directions overnight as often as it does during the day - and - can slow down as fast as it started. It's blowing hard out of the north right now, but it could be totally flat in the morning. According to BW, it will calm down and shift to the NE by morning - my bet is that the port will open by 10am or so if this forecast stays true.

Capture.jpg

How late in the season do these norte's occur
The old saying is " The day of the cross marks the end of the Norte "

I have found this to hold true.

Boy you just never know. Wunderground had expected 21 to 19 mph northerly winds at this hour, but current conditions show 3 to 8 mph from the west. :thumb: Well, the CZM airport is showing 14 mph mostly northerly? :idk:

Don't rely on Wunderground for "norte" information...Buoyweather is typically spot on or at least within a couple of hours and don't judge tomorrow on what the wind is doing right now. It slows down and/or changes directions overnight as often as it does during the day - and - can slow down as fast as it started. It's blowing hard out of the north right now, but it could be totally flat in the morning. According to BW, it will calm down and shift to the NE by morning - my bet is that the port will open by 10am or so if this forecast stays true.

View attachment 147804
Looks like it was expecting 21 mph mostly northerly too. It's air, hard to predict.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom