First Attempts in using OLY EM5 with 12-50mm lens in Nauticam Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My first pics with the OLY EM5 with the 12-50mm lens in Nauticam Housing (2 X S&S YS-D1 strobes):

Attachments

• P2090278.jpg
    P2090278.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 190
  • P2080161.jpg
    P2080161.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 159
  • P2080150.jpg
    P2080150.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 157
  • P2080106.jpg
    P2080106.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 170
  • P2080094.jpg
    P2080094.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 149
  • P2080043.jpg
    P2080043.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 146
  • P2010019.jpg
    P2010019.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 141
  • P2010023.jpg
    P2010023.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Nice pictures.

If I might venture into some (hopefully constructive) criticism:

Firstly, limit the number of pictures you show. At the most, only one picture of each subject. As hobby photographers, we love watching our own shots, but the audience can be fed up by seeing a bunch of "almost identical" pictures. Whenever I shoot, I consider a hit rate (pictures showed to others divided by pictures actually shot) above 5-10% to be exceptional. Ansel Adams is claimed to have said that "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop", and that's very good advice also for those of us who are far from his level of achievement.

The small fish is cute, personally I prefer the second picture (face on portrait), and I'd archive the first one. Same thing with the striped guy, there's really no difference between those pictures. Select one, archive the other.

The lionfish portrait is cool, can you crop it to make the fish looking horizontal instead of slanting downwards? BTW, same thing with the full face portrait (picture #2). Can you crop that one to to have the little guy stand straight up?

Finally, although the third subject is well captured, I'd love to see a shot taken with a larger aperture, throwing the background into a slight blur. As it is now, the background is sort of busy and a larger aperture might help you to isolate the main subject from the background.

But generally, pretty nice pictures. Keep on shooting!

Nice pictures.

If I might venture into some (hopefully constructive) criticism:

Firstly, limit the number of pictures you show. At the most, only one picture of each subject. As hobby photographers, we love watching our own shots, but the audience can be fed up by seeing a bunch of "almost identical" pictures. Whenever I shoot, I consider a hit rate (pictures showed to others divided by pictures actually shot) above 5-10% to be exceptional. Ansel Adams is claimed to have said that "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop", and that's very good advice also for those of us who are far from his level of achievement.

The small fish is cute, personally I prefer the second picture (face on portrait), and I'd archive the first one. Same thing with the striped guy, there's really no difference between those pictures. Select one, archive the other.

The lionfish portrait is cool, can you crop it to make the fish looking horizontal instead of slanting downwards? BTW, same thing with the full face portrait (picture #2). Can you crop that one to to have the little guy stand straight up?

Finally, although the third subject is well captured, I'd love to see a shot taken with a larger aperture, throwing the background into a slight blur. As it is now, the background is sort of busy and a larger aperture might help you to isolate the main subject from the background.

But generally, pretty nice pictures. Keep on shooting!

A little critical I think, the guy is excited and will eventually tone it down and do some post processing as he gets more proficient with his system. these are some nice pics, the piece of advice I would give is to back up a little and take your time looking at how you want to compose your shot first especially with the pipe seahorse, then move in slowly until you have as much of your shot composed the way you wanted it. a lower angle looking up as much as possible will give a much better perspective of the critter. The lionfish are fine because anyone who has spent time observing them will know that they are rarely in the open in a horizontal plane. Nice work.

Thank you guys!!

F.Y.I. I was only trying the camera and the accessories with it. These were my first dives with it ever. One of the pics was taken with just the focus light and without strobes (I was experimenting with all settings). I was more focused with where everything was and what does what in the camera than with trying to produce a master piece (will try that on the next dive trip).

Thank you all for your feedback.

A little critical I think
In retrospect, I can easily admit that you're right there. Sorry.

BurhanMuntasser: My only excuse is that I meant it well, even if it came out a bit harsh. :)

Last edited:
Nice job for the first time! Getting the right exposures seems to be the most challenging. I just tried my exact rig (except I use Inon 2000's) for the first time in Nov. in Bonaire. I like it so far, but definitely need floats to deal with the negative buoyancy. After 23 hrs. u/w, I developed an over-use injury in my forearm....ouch! Were you shooting Manual? It's been a transition for me coming from film just a few years ago. I'm finding it challenging getting good blue water exposures on wide angle shots.

Nice job for the first time! Getting the right exposures seems to be the most challenging. I just tried my exact rig (except I use Inon 2000's) for the first time in Nov. in Bonaire. I like it so far, but definitely need floats to deal with the negative buoyancy. After 23 hrs. u/w, I developed an over-use injury in my forearm....ouch! Were you shooting Manual? It's been a transition for me coming from film just a few years ago. I'm finding it challenging getting good blue water exposures on wide angle shots.

Yes, the buoyancy issue is a killer. I got the bricks later and they are great!!!

I always shoot manual. I come also from the film SLR times too. My last real U/W camera was the N90 in S&S housing. I haven't done WA yet. I am concentrating on learning one thing at the time for now. Where I am visibility is not WA friendly at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom