Semi Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone used or have information on the semi Dry suit its time for a new one and I am thinking about one but I dont know anyone that has used one
thanks

If you are serious about getting into cold water diving and have the funds, I would suggest getting a drysuit. It will outlast any semi dry by years. Just like any other wetsuits, semis lose their warmth over time from compression on the neoprene.

I used a semi dry for less than 20 dives before getting a drysuit and I would NEVER go back to a semi-wet suit.

"The best way to save money on a wetsuit, is to buy a drysuit".

I have to agree on the stratigy of the dry suit. If you are deterimined to stay semidry tehn i will say that i dive a harvy's 3mm and it has the wrist and ankle seals. it is warm and does not leak. I can pull open the neck and flood it, then get out of the water and look like the michlin man till i pull open the leg seals to drain. They are not cheap for as wet suits go. A properly sized dry suit takes no more lead than a wet suit.

I am in the minority but I really enjoy my semi-dry over my dry. I have been diving a Scubapro semi-dry for 5-6 years and use it at least a hundred dives a year in 68 degree water. The only time I go dry is when the ambient temp is very cold. My semi-dry keeps me virtually dry except around the wrist and ankle seals. I usually have more dampness from sweat than infilltrated water. As long as you are diving in water above 60 degrees I think you will be just fine with a semi-dry. They are more comfortable because it is just like having a wetsuit on. The only drawback is as mentioned above about the fact that they do not last as long as a dry suit. That is true. Also, the old selling point of them being a lot cheaper does not have as much weight as it used to because dry suits have come down in price a lot over the last few years. Last but not least to a newer diver is that the learning curve is basically zero for a semi-dry and dry suits take a little time to master.

Scuba.com is having a sale on the Mares Isotherm 6.5mm semi-dry wetsuit including the Isotherm 6.5mm hood, for $199.00.

This is absolutely unheard of. I snapped up two of them, one each for my wife and I.

This particular suit seems to have an excellent reputation in reviews and by users on this board as one of the "driest" semi-dry suit ever made, and several users claim it is excellent even down to water temps of 50 degrees.

jump on it!!!

While I certainly can't argue about saving money by going ahead and buying a dry suit, I love my 8/7/6 hooded semi dry tech suit. Dove for 1 plus hour in 54 degree water and only got cold after re-suiting for the second hour dive. That is the suit I did my cavern training in. While I am looking for a nice dry to buy, I'll not part by with semi.

Can some one provide a concise definition of a semi dry (semi wet?) suit?

I have always used custom fitted wet suits. They let a small amount of water in, but due to the Excellant fit there is never a stream of water. So I have always been comfortable and warm. Some times too warm.

So what is a semi dry suit? I thought it was a marketing gimmic?

I too am a Semi-dry believer. I own a dry suit (Whites Fusion), but here in Florida a dry suit is a bit of a pain. Even when the water is in the 50s, on deck the temp is in the 70s with a good sun load. Getting comfortable with a dry suitout of the water is difficult, but I can easly peel my semi-dry to the waist. I dive an AquaLung SolaFX 8/7, and have used in in water down into the 40s and been very comfortable, and I have talked with divers who have used the same suit in 30s water. With a good fit you get so little water in the suit your skin does not feel wet when you take off the suit.

Can some one provide a concise definition of a semi dry (semi wet?) suit?

I have always used custom fitted wet suits. They let a small amount of water in, but due to the Excellant fit there is never a stream of water. So I have always been comfortable and warm. Some times too warm.

So what is a semi dry suit? I thought it was a marketing gimmic?

Most semis will have some sort of water dam in the lower legs and near the wrists. Mine has a drysuit cross chest zipper along with an internal flap that is positioned inside and just under the zipper that pulls back over my head before the integrated hood pulls over from the back to zip up. Kinda hard to explain but every precaution is taken to seal out the water. I would describe any water coming into the suit as more of creeping in. My shoulders, torso and hips generally do not get wet during an hour dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom