What type of swim suit do you prefer (not brand)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wear a wetsuit too and underneath a bikini or tankini. Tankinis with a close fitting top work the best, for me at least. I have a bikini with a skirted bottom. It's cute but a real pain to wear under the wetsuit so I don't do that any more. My bikinis are more modestly cut meaning the pants come to an inch or two below my belly button and no string top. I'm older and prefer it that way, but I have also seen plenty of suits come off along with the wetsuit at the end of the dive.

I have saved loads of money buying my swimsuits on e-bay. I buy separate tops and bottoms and match up colors and styles.

I've had a "wardrobe malfunction" with one of my tankini tops so there's no guarantees.

I go for simple bikini tops and bottoms. They're tricky to find at times, but I only buy pieces that are 'flat', meaning no annoying ties that'll create bulk under a wetsuit.

I like the quick dry (Tan Thru) swimsuits because you dry off a lot faster but their 2 pieces are flimsy with no support. Their 1 pieces are better.

Steer clear of bikini's with any hardware as they typically end up next to the weight belt and cutting into you. Ties on bikini tops are no fun if the knot becomes a lump in your back or neck with the BC pressing into you. You can sometimes convert it into a clasp. I look for tops with flat clasps in the back, therefore tankini's are better. I like the Athleta brand.

another vote for tankinis. another vote to be careful of ones that tie behind your neck. and a pat on the back to continue the good fight to just let it all hang out. :D

don, i love you, go away. :kiss2:

I wear speedo swim shorts (not too short and not too long) with a variety of tankini tops. The shorts require only a minor adjustment when you first pull your wetsuit up, but I've never had any "malfunctions" when taking it off. Also, I prefer a little more coverage during the surface interval and they dry fast. When on a liveaboard, I bring a couple of pairs of shorts and tops. Immediately after a dive, I quickly hit the restroom and change into a dry set and hook the wet ones on the railing of the boat. By the time my next dive is done, the hanging set is windblown dry and I repeat the process. It's much more comfy (to me) to lounge in a dry suit between dives.

Several of you have brought up points I hadn't thought of - like how the knots and decorative hardware could be annoying during a dive. I have mostly worn the same Tyr one piece, reversible, racerback suit with no decoration or hardware - for the past 3 years! I was hoping to update my dive/swim wardrobe. Clearly, the suits I wear on the beach don't necessarily work on a dive. I'm liking the idea of a high waisted bottom and a bra-sized bikini top under a rash guard. Maybe a sports bra under a rash guard might even work. It's hard to tell the difference between some bras and bikini tops!

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 09:06 AM ----------

I have saved loads of money buying my swimsuits on e-bay. I buy separate tops and bottoms and match up colors and styles.

OH MY GOSH!! SERIOUSLY! I just went to ebay and found the EXACT suit I was looking at on the Nordstrom's website for HALF the price on ebay!! I love Nordstrom's service, but I don't know if I can pass up HALF PRICE for current season swimwear. Is this legal? Hmmmm.

I usually wear 1 pieces due to an ongoing weight problem and looking something like a manatee in a Bikini :) I've gotten a few great speedo suits at Costco for under $30.

For those that like bikinis, I did have the change to try on one of the Body Glove swimsuits with the "gemini" back on them (crossed straps that tie at the back) - SUPER comfy, and you can get them for $45 on Ebay. Being more them a little chesty, halter tops actually cause me terrible pain - so I can't wear them anymore :(

I bring several different styles of bikini to wear under my wetsuit. I find that by the end of a dive trip, I'll have sore spots on the back of my neck or elsewhere from string pressure or hardware. I solve the problem by switching it up daily.

I do tend to check the integrity of the placement of triangle tops before peeling out of the wetsuit. Contents tend to shift during flight.

I give another vote to the tankini. I have found them very comfortable and practical. I'm in the plus 50 crowd so I like that they hide some excess flesh. I bought my first one at Costco to try because it was cheap. I went back the next week and bought another because I really liked it and couldn't beat the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom