Playa Del Carmen Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeness

Registered
Reaction score
I've read several threads about PDC operators, but I'd like to know if anyone can suggest an operator that uses a really nice boat? It looks like a lot of operators use tiny dingy type boats. I know the dive sites are close to shore, but I only get to dive one or twice a year and I'd like to spend my surface interval comfortably with nice refreshments. Any suggestions? I'm also hoping to find an operator that does a 2pm 2 tank dive because I won't get to PDC until after noon on my 1st day and I'd like to get right into the water. Cost isn't an issue, I'd rather spend a bit more and have the best experience possible. I'm only going March 1 to 4, so I'd like to dive as much as I can. Thanks!

Andy

I know you indicated that you are looking for a larger boat, but I will still recommend Abyss Dive Center. They do run small 6 pack boats, but they are comfortable to dive off and the boat crew (Gabino and Fernando) are great and have been with Dave forever. The larger boats seem to be a bit of cattle boat operations with quite a few divers which I personally do not like. Many times with Abyss I have been on the boat with only 1 or 2 other divers plus the DM, particularly now that Dave has gone to the online booking and ditched the physical shop. I was a little leary this last trip at how things would go without the physical shop, but was impressed with how well I was looked after and the even more personal service that Dave was able to deliver. Like you, my vacation time is limited (though I am lucky enough to get out often during the summer, locally the diving is pretty iffy). I value getting the most out of my dives and not being limited by others. Having a DM for relatively few divers means you are more likely to see stuff that the larger groups just scare off, plus some macro life that you may miss or the DM for a large group may not have time to point out while managing so may divers. In regards to Coz, I'd agree that the diving is nicer over there, but my wife prefers to dive out of Playa. To each his own, but there are definitely things to see and some great diving out of Playa as well. Enjoy your trip, dive safe and have fun!

Ditto re. the Abyss, Dave & crew for all the reasons listed by markmantei. Dave has been in Playa for years & his level of experience & knowledge distinguishes him from other instructors/DMs. Yes, his boats are smaller, but you get more personalized attention & care.

If you do dive in Playa, you may be lucky enough to see bull sharks. Have been seeing them often on the southern reefs - so cool to see them pass by while diving.

Have a great trip!

There is a reason why the dive ops in PDC use small boats. No place to dock big ones and no way to get a permit to build a dock.

Look at Dive Aventuras. Surface intervals are spent on shore. Their afternoon dives should meet your schedule too.

I just dove with Dave at Abyss for both a Reef and Cenote dive. First class op all the way. Its a small boat but that means you wont dive with a big group. It was just my wife and I and Dave as our personal guide!
Dave even came by our Hotel and picked up our gear the day prior!
We did see 3 nice Bulls just off the wreck BTW.

Thanks again Dave!!

a lot of recommendations for abyss. i have not used them. i have tried to contact them in the past for detailed info on cenote and ocean diving as well as training. i cannot seem to ever get them to answer. that puts them pretty far down on my list.
erik at beyond diving seems to be on the ball and i will also recommend contacting frank at bluelife.

I had a great experience with Tank-Ha in Playa. Did a total of 6 dives with them. Took their direct boat to Coz and did the Santa Rosa wall and did 4 dives in the cenotes. Very professional dive masters and a very well run business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom