Mares Instinct 52 or Aqualung Titan LX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any advice or opinions are appreciated - I know there's a zillion threads about which regs to choose - but I've narrowed it down to these 2. I'm going to be diving mostly in tropical waters, as well as temperate waters like California.
It seems like at this point and price range, each reg will be great quality, it seems to be more about having to make a brand-loyalty decision. Also - I think the Instinct 52 looks amazing and i love the shape and design of the 2nd stage but I'm hesitating because it's a new design that hasn't been through the years of testing etc. Does anyone have experience with these regs? I was told by someone that the Instinct 52 would be an easier breather than the titan LX
thanks!

Without a doubt I would go with the AquaLung Titan LX. This is a time proven design, and based on AL's track record parts will be available for the foreseable future. Titan LX is fully ballanced and will function the same at 130 feet as it would on the surface. AL's parts for life program is the best in the industry and is an added value. In addition the AL dealer network is large and worldwide, and this means a lot if you travel to dive. Looks are one thing and proven performance is another. I don't know how anyone could say that the 52 would be an easier breather, as quality regs are all designed/tested to have little breathing resistance. I'm not trying to put down the Mares, but I assist thousands of divers a year on our charter vessel. There are almost never any problems with AL regs, I cannot say this about some other brands.

Performance will be very similar between them.
Parts isn't an issue as the 1st stage service parts are interchangeable....and like Aqualung 40 year old Voit and Mares regs are still supported.
2nd stage is where the differences are....the Aqualung uses a balanced Apeks designed second stage and the Mares uses a bypass tube to get the same performance without knobs and levers.

From what I can tell the Mares Instinct second stage is not pneumatically-balanced, whereas the Titan LX is. Personally I'd take the Aqualung, mainly due to the fact that the Titan has been around and will be around for some time to come.

The Titan LX, hands down, no contest.

N

Thanks for the feedback. I was intrigued by the 2nd stage design of the instinct, but it might feel too different than what I'm used to. My LDS is pushing me hard on the Apeks xtx200 which is a great reg, but the 1st stage is much heavier and it's got a heftier price tag.
I'm also interested in the Abyss 22 or 42 because i like the idea of an all-metal reg, but I've heard it's pretty heavy in comparison and can be harder on the jaw (thoughts on that anyone?). I'm sure they're all amazing, just a matter of picking a brand and going down that path.

"jaw fatigue" is a bit of a myth for most people and is normally caused by chomping down too hard on the mouthpiece.

My family dives an eclectic mix of Mares and Aqualung equipment (a/k/a Voit and US Divers in earlier iterations). You can't go wrong with either unit, and once you throw the MR22/42 Abyss into the mix, you've pretty much covered all bases from Mares. All of your listed choices are excellent mid-level priced regulators with truly outstanding performance, pick the one that you find most appealing to your own tastes.

I have been diving this Reg. for years. Great Reg. Only negetive is the stiff rubber hose on the reg. I believe the new 52 has a flex hose which would make that perfect.
Any advice or opinions are appreciated - I know there's a zillion threads about which regs to choose - but I've narrowed it down to these 2. I'm going to be diving mostly in tropical waters, as well as temperate waters like California.
It seems like at this point and price range, each reg will be great quality, it seems to be more about having to make a brand-loyalty decision. Also - I think the Instinct 52 looks amazing and i love the shape and design of the 2nd stage but I'm hesitating because it's a new design that hasn't been through the years of testing etc. Does anyone have experience with these regs? I was told by someone that the Instinct 52 would be an easier breather than the titan LX
thanks!

+1 for the Titan LX.

I went diving with my LDS owner last summer, and he was testing the Instinct, so I asked "How is it?", and he said "So-so, wanna try?". I said "Nah, thanks". If you really need its side exhaust feature, go for it, otherwise get the Titan LX.

Back
Top Bottom