Andy's dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtldiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[h=2][/h]
I think I put this in the wrong forum so I'll try here.
Just starting my dry suit journey Found an Andy's dry suit (used) for $450, appears to e in very good shape (from a dive shop). Would like to hear opinions.

Thanks,
Mark

I think I put this in the wrong forum so I'll try here.
Just starting my dry suit journey Found an Andy's dry suit (used) for $450, appears to e in very good shape (from a dive shop). Would like to hear opinions.

Thanks,
Mark

It's an awesome suit. I'd buy one in a heart beat. Even if it needs work, it's easily repairable by anybody that does drysuits.

The most expensive service part is the zipper, followed by the seals and the suit itself, so if the zipper and seals are good, $450 is a great deal.

Andy's went out of business. The owner's explanation was that they were "too busy" ??!??

Thanks

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 04:47 PM ----------

How about boots and fins???

Good suit, made well. I have one that I've been using for ten years. It's my back up suit (or for guests that are around my size when they come from out of town) but it functions well.

I really like the boots on there as stock - they're Wellington style boots, so you need a fairly big pocketed fin. Scubapro Jet fins work in the XL size, or Turtle fins work really well. The similar black rubber paddle fins from OMS or Hollis or Dive Rite would also all be fine. I can't talk about split fins (other than to laugh at those that wear them) but you'll want the weight of a rubber fin, as the insulation in the boot on the suit makes them a little buoyant.

It amazes me that people don't realize that zippers and seals are consumables and you should always expect to change them if you buy a used suit. If you're going to dive a drysuit and are an active diver, part of the equation is realizing that about every other year, you're going to have to change out those parts. Each is only about $100 (zipper, or a full set of seals) to DIY, more if you ship it off, as the labor can get pricey if you let someone else do it. Neither is a particularly skilled task to do on your own... pretty simple stuff.

$450 if it's in good shape and passes a leak test is a reasonable price. Not a screaming deal, but I would consider an Andy's suit to be a higher end producer... too bad they shut the business down.

What size are you looking for, have a med. with underwear for sale and can probably beat that price.

Love my Andy's Dry Suit. Use it in Lake Michigan all the time. Quality Suit, Quality Construction. If its in good shape as you say it is you will not have any problems. Like other people will say- maintenance of seals and zipper are important and that suit will last a long long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom