Drinking and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
Living and working in a tourist area, sometimes I see divers who are either hung over or still feeling the effects of a long night of partying..

I am hoping for some definitive references on Drinking and Diving. I am aware that in general, BAC is reduced at an hourly rate of .015. I am hoping that there is a study that I can refer to during my OW and above courses which can assist my students/customers. Additionally, since I have a very small dive business I speak to each customer one on one before the dives and it would be good for me to be able to present a fact based "restriction" to my diving customers...

I have access to several articles with general rules but not hard research..

Thanks in advance for any info..

Cheers,Roger

Here you go.

Alert Diver | Drinking and Diving: Is It Safe?

"A review of more than 15 studies on the effects of alcohol on performance found that alcohol was involved in roughly 50 percent of all accidents in people of drinking age. In Diving and Subaquatic Medicine (Edmonds C, et al., 2002), the authors report that alcohol is associated with up to 80 percent of all drownings in adult males.

It takes time for alcohol to be metabolized and its effects to wear off. M.W. Perrine and colleagues studied a group of experienced divers and the impact of alcohol consumption on their performance. Their investigation found that the ability to perform skills while scuba diving was significantly compromised at a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04 percent, which can be reached by a 180-pound man who consumes two 12-ounce beers in one hour on an empty stomach. The study went on to state that even at a lower BAC, situational awareness and protective inhibitions may be reduced.

Recent alcohol intake (along with seasickness, traveler's diarrhea, excessive sweating, diuretic medications and air travel) is a potential cause of dehydration in divers. Dehydration, particularly when severe, is a potential risk factor for decompression sickness (DCS). Diving can also contribute to further fluid loss through breathing dry air and diuresis caused by both immersion and cold. Some symptoms of dehydration, such as fatigue or drowsiness, can even mimic DCS, leading to possible diagnostic confusion"

I am not a big drinker, largely a result of the frequency I dive (320 so far this year alone). I do not mix drinking and diving... or driving. In my international dive travel I have been amazed to see how drunk some will get the night before a dive. Don't get me wrong... I love my glass of wine or scotch, but I love my life more.

I agree with the previous posters that alcohol and diving do not mix. A six pack is a bad dive buddy.:no:

Here you go.

"A review of more than 15 studies on the effects of alcohol on performance found that alcohol was involved in roughly 50 percent of all accidents in people of drinking age. In Diving and Subaquatic Medicine (Edmonds C, et al., 2002), the authors report that alcohol is associated with up to 80 percent of all drownings in adult males.

Somewhat of a necropost here, but the quote illustrates a problem with the statistics cited (the original article may clear it up, but the quote as given has some problems).

"Alcohol was involved in 50 percent of all accidents of people of drinking age." This statement is meaningless unless you know what percentage of the population was consuming alcohol. It's very different if 1% consume alcohol and result in half the accidents than if 90% consume alcohol, in which case it's those 10% teetotalers who are more dangerous.

Likewise, the quote from Edmonds about *up to* 80% of all drownings in adult males has some issues. Does that count people getting drunk in a hot tub or committing suicide in a bathtub? How about drunken beach goers? Or drivers who wind up in the river. Or ice fishermen who fall in and are unable to save themselves. These all in the "drownings" bucket, but none of them are necessarily representative of hung-over/drunken divers, so citing the statistic doesn't help with the original question.

The subsequent cite from Perrine is a much better one.. it's describing data from actual divers, but unfortunately, it's for "experienced divers". One could (not seriously) contend that with a bunch of mid experience "once a year" kind of divers (past the nervousness of the newly minted and more careful, but not had the near death experiences of the more experienced) that the danger from over confidence is small compared to alcohol induced bad judgement.

I'm also a bit leery of statements like "X may be reduced".. that's usually something the author puts in because it's sort of expected, but the data didn't show it, or there's no way to test for it. "may be" is a pretty weaselly way to say something. And I doubt anyone has quantified the safety implications of "protective inhibitions" with respect to dive safety. Sure, it seems common sense that protective inhibitions are the opposite of carelessness and carelessness is certainly a risk factor, but then, it's also common sense that showing up at the dock with a pounding hangover headache and alleviating it with some hair of the dog isn't the best plan.

The OP was looking for something objective: "hangovers are positively correlated with death and injury" that he could use to help dissuade customers who are unhappy with being unable to dive when they've paid in advance for it. This is a dicey area of customer relations and it's a very fine line you have to walk between being the dive *master* (implying that the DM gets to make the go/nogo decision) and selling an (expensive) service to a customer. And while it's a rationalization in most cases, it is also reality that you might be sending that customer on to someone less conscientious (Dude, you've only pounded half that sixer so far.. strap on the tanks and let's go diving, you're good to go.). You read the stories on forums like this and in the magazines, and hear them on the boats.. How many divers have gone in where the DM wasn't feeling real confident in the diver's abilities (whether due to alcohol, illness, or just plain inexperience/lack of training) and the DM says "They're here to have a good time, I think I can manage to keep them in safe territory, and they'll go home happy"

This is true in ALL activities where there's a service provider involved.. horseback riding, paragliding, ATV rentals, etc.

I think what the OP is looking for is something that is "neutral and objective" to use to help convince the customer, so it doesn't become a personal thing. (One could argue that it's also sort of passive aggressive, but hey, nothing is clearcut). Sort of like the sign at the auto shop that says "Insurance regulations prohibit customers in the shop".. when in reality it's nothing of the sort.

Hi Roger,

You don't have it because there is not much out there. With funding continuing to decrease for diving research I would be surprised if much more is published anytime soon.

The AAUS recently released the Sheldrake and Pollock article that relates more to scientific diving and occupational guidelines. (RRR ID: 10162) "We recommend that best practices for the scientific diving community should include specific direction on each of these elements, in addition to reinforcing a culture to separate alcohol from diving activities."

Going back a few years though, you can find this 1986 review by Lee Somers: Drinking and diving.

Trevett et. al. published an abstract in 2003 that concluded "There is no evidence of any difference in the distribution of reported alcohol intake between divers involved in an incident and controls". (RRR ID: 2723)

Leigh and Dunford did a series that they published as an abstract in 2005 showing that alcohol consumption did not increase risk of DCS. (Poster)

Recently, the DDRC in the UK published their paper (following numerous abstracts) though I do expect a few letters to the editor on their methods to be published soon. (PubMed, Not available through the RRR until Dec 2014 per embargo agreement) "This study investigates alcohol consumption and attitudes to alcohol in United Kingdom (UK) recreational divers."

Cognitive impairment and interaction with nitrogen narcosis was reviewed and studied by Hobbs (not me) in 2008. "These results support the contention of a relationship between nitrogen narcosis and alcohol, although the role of diving and drinking history, if any, remains obscure." RRR ID: 8101

From a treatment standpoint, Zhang et. al. did a series of studies where they "treated" rabbits with ethanol post dive and reduced platelet counts RRR ID: 2532. As Eckenhoff pointed out in 1983, "The greatest danger is for readers to extrapolate this potential form of therapy to prophylaxis, and try to prevent bends by prediving imbibing" RRR ID: 2723

Hope these help!

You have to have a study? Anyone who has over indulged knows that they are not 100% after a night of heavy drinking.

Living and working in a tourist area, sometimes I see divers who are either hung over or still feeling the effects of a long night of partying..

I am hoping for some definitive references on Drinking and Diving. I am aware that in general, BAC is reduced at an hourly rate of .015. I am hoping that there is a study that I can refer to during my OW and above courses which can assist my students/customers. Additionally, since I have a very small dive business I speak to each customer one on one before the dives and it would be good for me to be able to present a fact based "restriction" to my diving customers...

I have access to several articles with general rules but not hard research..

Thanks in advance for any info..

Cheers,Roger

@theduckguru, I've worked retail and customer service and having evidence to backup your professional calls for services you're offering is paramount. People, especially on a vacation let alone at home don't want to be told "no". They demand a damn good reason why at the minimum. I think the OP is looking for support to say no to a customer while keeping them relatively happy and as repeat customers. Unfortunately the reasonable, rational people who get told no, even for their own safety are few and far between.

I'm currently going through medical reviews posted here to get my own info as I'm curious myself what limits there are and subsequently can be pushed. I take it the dangers increase with time/ depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom