General Questions for first timer to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We used some reef/environmentally safe sun screen when we were in MX last June. I'll see if I can find it and tell you what it is. It worked pretty good, but I'm not terribly sensitive to such things or to sunburn.

Edit: Sweetie informs me that we gave it to someone who was staying another week. Sorry.
You tried, and that's what counts. :D

I now avoid using that aerosol form on my face (like spraying on my hand and wiping my face), and instead perhaps lightly smear a little of the usual 'pour out white liquid goo' type thinly on my forehead.

I'd like to skip it, but Bonaire can be an unforgiving place for the fair-complected who don't take precautions.

Richard.

I sent an inquire to Plaza Resort to see if they sell Reef Safe or some other biodegradable sunscreen. I could not find any online locally. Not even our dive shop.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2013 at 03:02 PM ----------

No response yet.

If you are offended by anything in this post, then my efforts have been rewarded. :D Tapatalk+Autocorrect

I'm a little concerned about baggage limits. We'll be flying in through Aruba and then Tiara Air to Bonaire. We get a 30kg allowance as far as Aruba but then only 20kg checked in and 6kg hand luggage on the Aruba - Bonaire leg. Since we won't be taking a lot of clothing the weight limits are doable, however I see some really tight size limits on the site.

Baggage Information | Tiara Air Aruba

only 22" x 14" x 10" for the checked bag.

My dive bag is quite a lot bigger than this.

Are they flexible on these limits? Do they charge excess if you're within the weight but above the size?

Great question Miketsp....Im hoping someone will reply as well.

Great question Miketsp....Im hoping someone will reply as well.

Just to answer the baggage issue with Tiara Air. Just before we traveled our travel agent told us that Tiara Air would give us an additional 10kg of allowance if we said we had dive equipment in our bag. This worked. Even though we flew Aruba -> Bonaire on the tiny Short SD 3-60 they didn't charge. I had one bag of 26kg with all our dry clothes and the regulators and my wife had another bag of 27kg with all the rest of our dive equipment.
Just one warning, the Short has really tiny wooden boxes over the seats for hand luggage but you can get one standard IATA hand luggage (sum 115cm) under the seat in front of you.

On the flight back we flew on a Fokker F50 which was slightly more spacious and we also had no complaints about weight. However if you sit in the middle of the plane the overhead compartments were even smaller than on the Short.

Overall I enjoyed the trip except for the attitude of the dive staff at Buddy Dive. I had a big argument on the first day because I need more weight than the average diver of my size (and I do need it to be able to hold the stops at the end of the dive with an empty tank). If I ever go back then I'd stay away from the boats and stick to shore diving.

Attachments

• IMG_1682-low-res.jpg
    IMG_1682-low-res.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1681-lowres.jpg
    IMG_1681-lowres.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 124
Overall I enjoyed the trip except for the attitude of the dive staff at Buddy Dive. I had a big argument on the first day because I need more weight than the average diver of my size (and I do need it to be able to hold the stops at the end of the dive with an empty tank). If I ever go back then I'd stay away from the boats and stick to shore diving.

Miketsp, thanks for the update on Tiara Air baggage restrictions.

And you might consider posting those photos on the recent tipping thread. I think it might get a few interesting comments.

Last edited:
Think about Bonaire as you would ANY travel destination. All valuables in the safe when not in use, leave what valuables you do NOT need back home. If the room does not have a laptop safe, leave in the front office in their safe. USD is the local currency. Bring your no fee ATM cards, don't bring a boat load of cash. Mossies are a challenge in all of the Caribbean so use bug spray dawn and dusk when they seem to be a problem. You are staying in a local neighborhood so if noise bothers you, downloand white noise on your laptop or bring ear plugs (woof woof)...

I wanted to thank everyone for all the great advise, i hve one more question. once again we will be staying at divi, we will be bouncing over to aruba to attend a wedding following our dives. we will need to do laundry before going over there is there anywhere nearby that we can have this done nearby?? thanks for your help.

azdive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom