Vacation dive locations - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am trying to make some dive plans for this spring and summer and thought I might be able to use some suggestions.

I would like to add Florida to my plans.

Are the Keys the best choice for a dive vacation or are other areas of Florida better?

If the Keys, which islands? Key West, Key Largo, other?

I am mainly interested in reefs, wrecks and wildlife.

Any recommendations on dive sites, dive boats and places to stay would be appreciated!

Is it better to fly into Miami and drive or fly all the way into Key West?

Thanks!

If you're just interested in diving I'd fly to West Palm and save yourself some money. Dive out of Jupiter and West Palm for the wrecks, big fish, ledges and reefs. City Place isn't too shabby either for a comedy show and meal.

Shore/Beach diving is not a priority. I mostly shore dive here in Ca and on vacation, I probably want to boat dive.

I will be traveling with my non diving girlfriend so there needs to be stuff that she can do while I dive and then we do enjoy a bit of night life as well.

You are lucky in that most of the diving from Jupiter down to the Keys is great: if possible, an optimal dive vacation would be to rent a car and stop in several places along the way. I dive in Jupiter a lot and use Jupiter Dive Center regularly. Jupiter is the place you are most likely to see big marine life such as sharks, turtles, rays, big morays, etc. Jupiter is well worth diving for a few days.

But if you want to stay in one hotel and not move around, I'd definitely look at the Keys. I usually make 2-3 trips each year (long weekends) and get in 8-16 dives per trip. If the diving is most important to you, then Key Largo is the right place. I dive with Conch Republic Divers most of the time when I'm in the Key Largo area (but have used other good ops like Silent World too). From shallow beautiful reefs to deeper wrecks along with a couple of deep reefs like Conch Wall: Key Largo has it all. Plenty of good places to eat, but you'll have to drive since the upper Keys are not really walking friendly.

If you are more interested in top side activities with diving as a secondary pursuit, Key West is the place. The dives are not as nice (though the Vandenberg wreck is pretty cool), but there are more taverns, restaurants, and bars per capita in Key West than anywhere else on this planet (that's a little exaggerated, but not far from the truth). KW also has some interesting tourist actives like the Hemmingway House, Eisenhower White House, museums's, etc. and Key West also has the better beaches: most of the rest of the Keys have crappy beaches, if any at all. The only dive operator I've recently used in Key West is Captain's Corner.

Anywhere in the Keys will also have activities like jet skis, fishing, kite boarding, etc.

If you are doing a multiple location trip, I'd fly into Miami, Ft Lauderdale or West Palm Beach. If you are only going to Key Largo, I'd fly into Miami or Ft Lauderdale. If you are only going to Key West, I'd try to fly directly to Key West. While Key Largo and Key West are only separated by 100 miles or so, at certain times of the day/year, it can take 3 or 4 hours to drive from one to the other: its a pretty drive over the overseas highway, but frustrating if you are in a hurry.

So here's my perfect itinerary

-Arrive Friday and dive in Jupiter on Saturday and Sunday. (dive op: Jupiter Dive Center, plenty of hotels like Holiday Inn Juno Beach, Best Wester Jupiter or check out South Florida Dive Journal's website for more suggestions)

-Dive Monday morning in West Palm Beach, Boynton, Pompano or Ft Lauderdale. (Force-E can arrange a boat in any of the locations, Underwater Explorers for Boynton, Jim Abernathy for West Palm Beach, Pompano Dive Center, Scubatyme or South Florida Dive HQ for Pompano/Ft Lauderdale)

-Drive to Key Largo Monday afternoon. (Ocean Pointe Suites is a nice place to stay)

-Dive Tuesday-Thursday in Key Largo and Islamorada (Conch Repubic Divers, Silent World)

-Drive Thursday evening to Key West.

-Dive Friday and Saturday in Key West and or Looe Key. (Cap't Corner but other SB'ers will provide additional suggestions)

-Fly home Sunday evening.

Alternate: add a live aboard like MV Spree's 3 day weekend trip to the Dry Tortugas some point during your stay

So here's my perfect itinerary

-Arrive Friday and dive in Jupiter on Saturday and Sunday. (dive op: Jupiter Dive Center, plenty of hotels like Holiday Inn Juno Beach, Best Wester Jupiter or check out South Florida Dive Journal's website for more suggestions)

-Dive Monday morning in West Palm Beach, Boynton, Pompano or Ft Lauderdale. (Force-E can arrange a boat in any of the locations, Underwater Explorers for Boynton, Jim Abernathy for West Palm Beach, Pompano Dive Center, Scubatyme or South Florida Dive HQ for Pompano/Ft Lauderdale)

-Drive to Key Largo Monday afternoon. (Ocean Pointe Suites is a nice place to stay)

-Dive Tuesday-Thursday in Key Largo and Islamorada (Conch Repubic Divers, Silent World)

-Drive Thursday evening to Key West.

-Dive Friday and Saturday in Key West and or Looe Key. (Cap't Corner but other SB'ers will provide additional suggestions)

-Fly home Sunday evening.

Alternate: add a live aboard like MV Spree's 3 day weekend trip to the Dry Tortugas some point during your stay

I was planning a week's long vaction to Florida and trying to figure out a good Itinerary...Thanks :yeahbaby:

Here's my trip (first dive tomorrow morning). Drive through the Keys. Two days in Key West (dive'n the Vandinberg with Southpoint). Two Days in Looe Key Dive Resort. Dive the Busch and reefs. Your GF can snorkle the reefs while you dive if you go there. They have a big pontoon boat and cook out during the breaks. Two days in Key Largo (too many dive shops to mention). I'm staying at Pelican (super cheap) and diving with Conch Republic.

I agree with the keys. There are some terrific resorts... Hawks Cay, the Cheeca Lodge, Chesapeake, Pier House... all will make the g/f happy while you're out diving. And there is plenty to do for the two of you as well.

Definitely go with the keys... Fly in to Miami and rent a car.

Have fun whatever you decide

Hey all! Thanks for the great feedback!

I really like the idea of the moving itenerary.

I think I would probably fly in to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami depending on airline and then rent a car.

Would probably look at driving straight through to Key West and then work our way back up the Keys and depart from the same airport.

Really good information. Thanks again!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom