Recommended dive operator - Ambergris Caye, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is ancient and some of these shops don't exist anymore. Good topic but needs updating.
So much of your choice in a dive shop will be governed by where on the island your staying. Some very good shops on Ambergris Caye however poor roads or no roads will determine what is feasible quickly.
We pick up at the docks by boat each morning but even that has its limits. It's best to include where on Ambergris Caye you will be staying with your questions.

Okay, I'm staying at Sunset Beach Condos in a few weeks. Looking for dive Ops that will pick us up at the dock. We will be bringing our fins/mask/BCs/regs so will only need tanks and weights and maybe a wetsuit for my fiancee. Not going to do a lot of diving but a couple of days so we can just relax and maybe explore some. My fiancee isn't thrilled about hauling set up gear around and definitely doesn't want to do it on this trip. Looking forward for the post. I don't like the cattle car boats but will do what I got to do so we can get wet in some warm water. thanks ahead of time.

Ambergris Caye doesn't have any "cattle boat" operators. Eight on a boat is a lot and most boats have fewer, and by law no group can be larger than eight divers. Most are (thankfully) smaller.

From Sunset Beach to town is quite a hike, so you'll either need to rent a golf cart or have a few taxi phone numbers (and be prepared for long waits).

Thanks peterbj7. Nice to know we want be doing the mob in the water diving for our couple days of diving. We are sight seeing and probably do some ruins tour while there. What's the best, better, nice in ruins tours? Just want to get the best land trip possible.
Again thanks for the feedback.

I generally tell people visiting AMbergris Caye to visit just one, Lamanai. Unless you're an expert you won't benefit from visiting any others.

Another option could be Altun-Ha. Not nearly as big and interesting as Lamanai but it's only about 30 minutes from Goldson airport. If your flight out is in the afternoon, clambering around Altun-Ha is a good alternative to sitting around the airport all morning.

Traveling to Belize June 6-11th and staying at Xanadu with a lady friend(non-diver). Recommendations on Dive Operators for 2-3 days of 2 tank dives, and also if any will either allow my lady friend to snorkel off the boat or will do a Discover Scuba with her(I could as I'm an instructor as well, if they'd let me).

LOts of dive centers will pick up there - my personal favorite is Island Divers. You won't be able to teach here, at least officially, as you need a Tour Guide qualification which you can't get.

Peter is right that teaching in belize is difficult without a tour guide license. You might walk down to Scuba School Belize just down the street from Xanadu, which has it's own training pool, so your lady friend can do a FREE TRY DIVE before a DSD. There are only a few dive sites we recommend for DSD and dive training. all of which start out at 5' deep and go down to 20+- ' btw you are welcome to go along with to dive with her. After the finishing the DSD as you know she can go with a instructor down to 40' outside the reef (with an instructor)
Be careful several dive centers use divemasters for their DSD.

Back
Top Bottom