Curacao questions - Jan Sofat - close to diving? diving Klein?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am headed down to Curacao the first week of April (2-8) for a wedding. I have been to Bonaire 4 times, so am familiar with the diving there. Is Curacao pretty much the same as far as abundant shore diving, etc? We are staying in Jan Sofat I think Curacao Design Villa

apparently 10 minutes from Jan Thiel.

Are there any dive ops near here that I can shore dive with - essentially pick up a tank and go diving off the shore? I don't think I will have a car, or if I do, I will be sharing it with several people- 10 of us are staying here I think, and the wedding is of someone who lives on island and her and her friends will be driving us around, so if something within walking distance, would be awesome.

Also, we are going to take a boat to Klein - is there any diving there? any place to get tanks there? (not sure if it is like Klein Bonaire and just an empty island). Or at least is their snorkling there if I bring our gear?

Thanks

Curacao is on the same reef so the diving itself is very similar. The difference is that the reef is farther out - most of the dive sites are off the beaches - including Jan Thiel - which is both a public beach and a dive site. Last site listed here:

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands

From your location, you're just east around Caracasbaai from the Tugboat dive site - just a few mins. drive. Someone recently posted that the dive school at the Tugboat closed though so IDK about tank availability there now. We brought our own a couple years ago.

There's also a dive off Caracasbaai itself - IDK if there's a shop there.

I'd guess the closest place for tanks is probably the Ocean Encounters shop at Santa Barbara (formerly Hyatt Regency) resort. It's about 5mins. to the east of Jan Sofat. There's also a shore dive there but they don't allow it since you have to cross the boat channel from the resort. So IDK if you can take tanks off property - I'd assume so but ... OE also frowns on Solo diving - even with a solo card. Our location at Santa Barbara Beach Resort | Ocean Encounters Diving Curacao

The Dive Bus dives in that area also, they dive at the Tugboat, Caracasbaai, Jan Thiel and Directors Bay. So maybe you could either meet them there or they'd pick you up along the way - they pick up at most of the resorts in town so that's a possibility. They're a little west near Pierbaai. Welcome to the Dive Bus

Site descriptions for the above courtesy of the Dive Bus:
Tugboat - Tugboat
Directors Bay - Directors Bay
Caracasbaai - CaracasBaai
Jan Thiel Bay - Jan Thiel

There's food options at Jan Thiel since it's a locals beach. I've never been to CaracasBaai or Directors Bay.

If the dive school is still at Tugboat, they had a snack shop area also. If they're closed it's probably pretty isolated now except for people driving in to dive. There's also some industrial activity nearby at times, it's partly a working harbor.
The pier is supposed to be a good dive also but we couldn't do it as there was a ship tied up working there at the time.
The best part of the Tugboat is deeper around the south point - it's flat then drops off. Lots of eels on the wall there. The boat itself is just off one of the pilings in 20' - just a little south of the beach - makes a good safety stop. Mid morning the cruise ship tour may drop a bunch of snorkelers on it..happened to my friends while diving it...lol.

I haven't been to Klein but it's not inhabited either. There's good diving there though. There is more there (a lighthouse IIRC) than Klein Bonaire - day trips go there - I think there's some sort of day use facility. One of the larger boats that goes out there is a combo beach/snorkel/dive boat - so maybe book diving with whoever the rest of your group is using. It may be the same boat? Atlantis has some details on their trip out there: http://www.atlantisdiving.com/Boat+trip+Klein+Curacao.1926

Last edited:
thanks! I am debating getting a rental car simply so I have a little more freedom - the wedding is at the Hyatt - is that now the Santa Barbara, or is there still a hyatt and the regency is what changed?

The Hyatt is no longer in Curaçao; the hotel has been renamed to St Barbara. Still the same hotel but under new management. Probably most of the staff is the same.
A car would be a good idea. It gives you a lot of freedom. Don't leave valuables in the car though. A lot of dive sites are isolated.

thanks - yes I am familiar with the bonaire rule about valuables in car, etc.

Another question - if the dive bus house reef a good dive? If I only have one morning to dive and can't drive all over the island, what is my best bet? Just go do a couple dives on their house reef? tugboat (would have to find someplace to pick up tanks).

Scotty,

Yes, the house reef at The Dive Bus is a good dive. You can stay shallow, go deep or even extra deep. I've been there more than hundred times and if asked would like to there again right now.

About operators:
the operator at the Tug boat site in the Caracas Bay is gone, but there is another operator nearby at the roundabout at the beginning of the bay: Curious2dive. Next to The Dive Bus are two other operators and there is one at the Jan Thiel Bay.

For Klein Curacao ask Patrick at Aquarius Diving, they go there once or twice a week. And for Eastpoint (boat dive) ask Niels of Divechartercuracao.

Have Fun.

well - you wanna dive with me april 4th at the dive bus so I can avoid paying a DM :)

Back
Top Bottom