Shore Diving: Max Safe Distance/ Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope.
Actually if you look at the site they have an inflatable one with an optional zipered pocket that would hold a water proof marine radio, stuffed into 3-4 zip locks probably. You can probably get a water proof case like an otter case for a cell phone... only open it of you need it...

:amazed: !!!!! :D Please Tell me more!!! hows the coral growth/ sea life like there compared to the closer reefs?? whats the depth change between the start of the ledge and end? you have any more pics? i think if i do ever go there i will 2 tank it. 134 - 155 cuft is more then sufficient in case of unexpected nuclear subs.

That coordinate marks the inner edge of the outer "third" reef line. The depths vary to 60 or more feet. This line is much more prolific with marine life, turtles, fish, sharks and generally densely alive. This is also the same line of reef charter boats regularly dive. Much more accessible via kayak obviously and more practical.

I believe this photo is from that general area:

IMG_1380.jpg

This is the inner reef line near the three balls southeast of the pier at about 15 feet, not the same day or same camera:

P6170033_edited-1.jpg

I usually use steel 72cf tanks, aluminum 64cf tanks or rarely an 80cf for beach dives. My SAC rate is very low and any of those tanks are more than enough air. And, importantly, if I need to walk a mile or so back to my car (or where ever my wife can find me) I am not weighted down with unnecessarily heavy gear. I generally use very simple gear, usually no BC(D) and as little neoprene as I can do with.

To be clear, once again, I am not recommending anyone swim 1.5 miles or more offshore solo and with no surface support. I am simply saying, that I can and I have and will again. My methods suit my experience and capabilities and I value simplicity and speed. My swim out and back are done on the surface and I basically haul aXX and even at that a dive of this nature can have me in the water for three or even four hours. While I have never really had an issue with boat traffic here, it is a concern and as others have advised, better keep a look out.

N

That coordinate marks the inner edge of the outer "third" reef line. The depths vary to 60 or more feet. This line is much more prolific with marine life, turtles, fish, sharks and generally densely alive. This is also the same line of reef charter boats regularly dive. Much more accessible via kayak obviously and more practical.

I believe this photo is from that general area:

IMG_1380.jpg

This is the inner reef line near the three balls southeast of the pier at about 15 feet, not the same day or same camera:

P6170033_edited-1.jpg

I usually use steel 72cf tanks, aluminum 64cf tanks or rarely an 80cf for beach dives. My SAC rate is very low and any of those tanks are more than enough air. And, importantly, if I need to walk a mile or so back to my car (or where ever my wife can find me) I am not weighted down with unnecessarily heavy gear. I generally use very simple gear, usually no BC(D) and as little neoprene as I can do with.

To be clear, once again, I am not recommending anyone swim 1.5 miles or more offshore solo and with no surface support. I am simply saying, that I can and I have and will again. My methods suit my experience and capabilities and I value simplicity and speed. My swim out and back are done on the surface and I basically haul aXX and even at that a dive of this nature can have me in the water for three or even four hours. While I have never really had an issue with boat traffic here, it is a concern and as others have advised, better keep a look out.

N

i will most likely hold out on trying to out there for a little bit, maybe when it get warmer. and after i sort out a way i feel safe going out there. defiantly need a radio. and more viability on the surface. i may just kayak out there. tho it bring up the problem that my buddy does not have one.

normally i DIVE for 2.5 - 3.5 hours with my double 63's and my friend with 2, 80's then do longs swims or walks. im pretty cool with it. tho again i normally do it within a mile or so. like this thread suggests im concerned about being safe out there beyond "normal" beach dive distances and being able to cope with issues far far out.

I shore dive in RI alot and the large tidal changes can get very strong currents going. The key things I look at when planning are, alternate shore exits, what time of day will give me the best visibility and send me back towards my entry point. I use a car tube for a float, it gives me a place to hang if I want to rest or even hang gear if I chose to remove it (never felt the need but it is a nice option. I am usually wearing a lot of neoprene and lead and a steel tank. I usually limit the out and back to bottom navigation. So a quarter mile on the surface is the max, but it is never straight out. Ultimately I know that I may well have to swim farther because of unexpected conditions, but I try to keep the distances realistic, because Spain is a long way off...

One of my favorite advertisements, less can be more. Just a diver and the ocean, what can be more pure and simple.

voit.jpg

The place the OP is talking about diving has the very powerful Gulf Stream sweeping in almost to the shoreline. The current can be so strong at times the anchor buoys are pulled under. Next stop Bermuda. Due caution is warranted.

N

Last edited:
...telling someone where and when you are diving and when you plan to return, is a very important part of safety planning, and many people over look it. DivemasterDennis

.....and the type of signalling devices you're carrying. See this excellent sticky written by Navy On-Star.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ignalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html

The Commercial Street Pier area is also one of my favorite shore dives. When the current is running S -> N I like to have someone drop me off a few blocks south of Datura and drift dive over the second reef and exit at the parking lot north of the pier. From there I can walk back to the hotel we like to stay, but it's a good point to meet whoever is picking you up. There are showers available there.

I agree with Nemrod, this type of dive is safer/more enjoyable when done solo.

This guy is breaking all the rules....no BC, no octopus, and he stopped under the pier on his way out to the reef. Probably tied his float off elsewhere to disguise his intentions.....for-shame!

.....and the type of signalling devices you're carrying. See this excellent sticky written by Navy On-Star.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ignalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html

The Commercial Street Pier area is also one of my favorite shore dives. When the current is running S -> N I like to have someone drop me off a few blocks south of Datura and drift dive over the second reef and exit at the parking lot north of the pier. From there I can walk back to the hotel we like to stay, but it's a good point to meet whoever is picking you up. There are showers available there.

I agree with Nemrod, this type of dive is safer/more enjoyable when done solo.

This guy is breaking all the rules....no BC, no octopus, and he stopped under the pier on his way out to the reef. Probably tied his float off elsewhere to disguise his intentions.....for-shame!

lol was that you?

Its actually pretty funny when i decided to do solo beach dives i took the technical route and went with the redundancy, the exact opposite of what you guys do. The solo thread on this site kinda pushes you in that direction tho :\ not to may ppl in there talking about vintage style diving as a end all to safe solo diving.

i use small doubles (63's) on thirds when im by my self. They are not as heavy compared to 80's or 72's and i get about 88 cuft of air to and from with 44 in the reserve, some times if im close to shore ill use a little up if theres something really interesting to see. but i like diving with tons of crap. doesn't mean its the best way for everyone. i have on some occasions dove all the air in them and have gotten like almost 3 hours of bottom time. :)

538103_10200249456986837_987384828_n.jpg

lol was that you?

Its actually pretty funny when i decided to do solo beach dives i took the technical route and went with the redundancy, the exact opposite of what you guys do. The solo thread on this site kinda pushes you in that direction tho :\ not to may ppl in there talking about vintage style diving as a end all to safe solo diving.

Don't get me wrong; I believe in "dressing for the occasion." Redundancy has it's place, but for this particular dive, a shallow drift dive out to the 2nd reef at ~20 feet-not out to the 3rd reef like Nemrod. At this depth I consider the surface a redundant air supply. Not seen are my float and signalling devices. The wife can recite to the authorities, "he entered at point A and should have exited point B at X time. He is carrying an SMB, mirror, flashlight, and strobe."

I just stopped under the pier to watch a photographer/friend do his thing on my way east then north when he shot that pic.

Vintage has as many definitions as there are people. I consider "vintage diving" to be the way it was practiced before I started diving in the early 70ies. I'm still the most comfortable and confident wearing pretty much the same equipment I learned in. Unfortunately, time has made the seas more saline so I require a little more ballast. :)

I would suggest that you can get into irrecoverable difficulty just as easily 100 yards out as 1 mile out. What is your comfort level? The reality is that unless you take a transmitting divice like the Lifeline Nautilus Lifeline Marine Radio and GPS anything else is a false sense of security in the absence of direct surface support.

No need to put a GPS Marine Radio in a waterproof canister. the Nautilus Lifeline is so tough it is depth rated to 425 ft all on its own and its distress range is up to 3500 sq miles!

Back
Top Bottom