Salps do it two ways.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so glad you enjoy the content, Lynne, and I certainly appreciate everyone's comments! There's something mysterious about these drifters - and there are always new, unexpected species. How is your vis midwater, generally? Would love to meet you someday.

And 3D diver, that's the largest salp species we have on the west coast, Thetys vagina. We've never seen a chain of them, yet.

Merry,
First of all, AMAZING photos and information! Thanks so much for sharing!
Just about a year ago I spotted a Thetys vagina near the surface of Shaw's Cove. I was amazed to witness it releasing a chain of its "offspring" right in front of me! Please see the attached photos. Is this what you're referring to?

mz-thetys-vagina-3.jpgmz-thetys-vagina-2.jpgmz-thetys-vagina-1.jpg

Thank you, Michael. Yes, I recall seeing those terrific shots of yours! How lucky was that? I'd sure like to see a mature chain of them, as last year we saw only singles. And thank you for the link to your photos. :)

Forgot to add that we really enjoyed your squid blog.

Thanks for another terrific post Merry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom