Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey guys other than haveing a flash q card what is the real world advantage of having a padi master scuba diver Cert.
Also if someone got certified as a divemaster -Yes divemaster not master diver where do they stand doing rec diving at a dive resort etc.
Basicly where I'm at is Im loving improving my skill levels but Im concerned about taking the jump to divemaster due to liability issue on dives where I'm "just another diver"

hey guys other than haveing a flash q card what is the real world advantage of having a padi master scuba diver Cert.
Also if someone got certified as a divemaster -Yes divemaster not master diver where do they stand doing rec diving at a dive resort etc.
Basicly where I'm at is Im loving improving my skill levels but Im concerned about taking the jump to divemaster due to liability issue on dives where I'm "just another diver"

First part of your question - none. Other than your wallet is lighter by the amount you could have used to buy the cute lady at the bar a drink and dinner.

Second part - none. No liability at all. Unless you agree to assume some. Or maybe an op or resort will ask you to buddy with a new diver. If so make them pay you or at least comp you the dive. If that happens make the newbie sign a release. Which will be meaningless as anyone can sue you for anything. Do not lie about or hide the cert. It will come out in discovery anyway if the SHTF and then some one will want to know what else you have to hide.

If you are looking to improve your skills, look for specific specialty courses (and others) that will improve your skills more than higher certification levels. There are a number of specialty courses that are frankly not worth the time and will not help you all that much, but in many cases you can learn a heck of a lot of valuable skills and information.

Following the specialties has value. Paying for the card in and of itself doesn't add anything to your skills.

That said, some people have a great sense of accomplishment upon reaching a milestone. The card is just a way for some to reward themselves for that and it can create a concrete way to express that sense of pride. I'm personally not wired that way at all but for people who are, it has value in that sense.

As for liability issues you may not be able to stop other people's lawyers from doing what they think they can get away with.... but your status of divemaster changes nothing about that. Lawyers just choose their targets by how deep the pockets are and how easy those pockets will be to get into. Nothing about the truth really matters to liability lawyers and they're allergic to the truth... so the only real thing you can do is to make sure you don't dive like an idiot so your pockets looked zipped shut by the possibility of someone telling the truth.

R..

The real advantage is PADI's, making more money by selling you a card you don't need.
I have one of course, but got it 20 years ago, when I was more impressionable.

I teach PADI courses, including specialty courses and destintive specialty courses. I provide the classes I think are worth while for my students. I do not offer the PADI Master Diver rating.

enought said?

I finally got around to getting the PADI MSD certificate 30+ years after my first PADI certification. I had lots of specialties and my LDS did not push it but it was only $56.00 so I did it. Am I a better diver because of it? No. But I am a better diver from taking the prerequisites. I enjoyed Peak Performance Buoyancy and Deep Diver and loved Rescue Diver.

Under the PADI marketing model, instructors get credit for signing off on MSDs and must have a certain number before they can progress to the next level.

To be honest, if I were not a diver, I would think that 'Master Scuba Diver' sounds a lot cooler than 'Divemaster.' It even sounds a little like 'Master Scuba Diving Instructor.' :wink:

But yes, it's a card for the sake of a card. The path to get to 'MSD' can be filled with very relevant training, though. Rescue Diver is probably one of the most important courses you can take.

As others say, MSD is a waste of money. The only specialities with any tangible value are nitrox and deep. Some are completely pointless, such as boat diver and multi-level diver. Don't get me started on fish ID! Most of the skills you can gain from the specialities can be picked up by just getting out and diving with experienced divers.

To be honest, if I were not a diver, I would think that 'Master Scuba Diver' sounds a lot cooler than 'Divemaster.' It even sounds a little like 'Master Scuba Diving Instructor.' :wink:

The Rescue Diver cert is best for that - I had two girls in the pub believing I jumped out of a Sea King helicopter in SCUBA gear with that card! :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom