WPB.....water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so I have to admit....I am a whimp and tend to get cold really easy. I dive with a 3 mil over a 1 mil....I do wear a beanie to keep my head warm and my hair from being wild!!!
will be coming down in a few weeks and hear the water temp is around 75....
so I want to get a hood but not sure how thick of one to get. Can anyone help me out????
thanks
Lynn

Welcome fellow wimp! The water temp has been 70-72 degrees. I suggest at least a 5mm wetsuit and hooded vest. Who are you diving with? They may be able to help you with coverage.

Haha....not sure yet...not going to get another wetsuit but you are suggesting a hooded vest??? Really...do they rent them? Usually dive warm and was hoping it would be warmer so don't want to invest in much..
who do you dive with? We are staying in Jupiter and diving 29,30, 31

Depends on where you dive. I"m not particularly cold sensitive and it's been anywhere from 74 at BHB to 69 the other day on the Miracle of Life wreck. My buddy is more on the temp-wimpy side, but got a Lavacore hood for about twenty-five bucks last month and has been in love with it through the entire season...even though she's wearing a 5mil and used to swear by a 3mil hood. She says it is a lot more comfortable, too.

Hey all,

I too get cold easily, and couldn't find anything on being too hot while diving. Is this something I should be worried about? As a new diver, I'm not exactly sure what to do on certain dives. Right now I dive with 5 mil in 70-80 water and do alright. Any colder and I sometimes have to surface early and annoy my buddies. But now we are planning on doing a deep dive in 90 water (hot springs). Will I regret throwing on a 5 mil in 90 water, because I sure know that its hot as hell when you aren't actually wet. Thanks!

Haha....not sure yet...not going to get another wetsuit but you are suggesting a hooded vest??? Really...do they rent them? Usually dive warm and was hoping it would be warmer so don't want to invest in much..
who do you dive with? We are staying in Jupiter and diving 29,30, 31

Divers Direct had hooded vests (2mil) for around $29 in the past. I bought one three years ago, and it has held up well so far

I LOVE my 3/5 hooded vest with a flow vent at the tippy top of my head! I don't splash without it. Last weekend I wore it under a full 7 mm, so you are not much of a wimp compared to me.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 01:00 PM ----------

Hey all,

I too get cold easily, and couldn't find anything on being too hot while diving. Is this something I should be worried about? As a new diver, I'm not exactly sure what to do on certain dives. Right now I dive with 5 mil in 70-80 water and do alright. Any colder and I sometimes have to surface early and annoy my buddies. But now we are planning on doing a deep dive in 90 water (hot springs). Will I regret throwing on a 5 mil in 90 water, because I sure know that its hot as hell when you aren't actually wet. Thanks!

I would NOT wear a 5 mm in 90 F. water! You could go with a skin or without an exposure suit at all, if conditions allow. And, don't forget to adjust your weight accordingly!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom