solo diving ordinance and local regulations attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I thought America was the land of rugged individualists! Sure glad we don't have any ordinances against solo diving! Of course if I finally meet my ultimate dive buddy, I'll be glad to do my dives with her!

Received a response to my inquiry from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. According to the reply, there are not regulations, ordinances or laws regarding SCUBA in Georgia other than the Boating Safety Act which requires boats to maintain distance from down divers (I believe it to be 100')

The lakes that are owned by GA Power do require you to have a permit, to dive it.

FWIW, most of my diving in Monterey & Carmel (CA) is solo. I don't even get disapproving glances from other divers anymore. I've even done Monastery solo (*gasp!* horrors!!!); it's about knowing your skills, the site, and the appropriate conditions. (I also recommend a healthy number of dives in a variety of settings, 'cuz, y'know, experience and stuff.)

I do find it a little annoying that Pt. Lobos requires buddies (and that the buddies be named and listed on the reservation), but it's up to them to manage their park so I don't lose sleep over it. Meetup.com has been great for getting in there more often.

The lakes that are owned by GA Power do require you to have a permit, to dive it.

Permits or fees to dive on private property are pretty common. Here we need to obtain a permit to dive a popular lake within the Olympic National Park ... which is owned by the federal government.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Solo diving from a beach is not permitted in Fort Lauderdale.

See regulation 7.2(a) here.

Unrelated to solo diving, but very curious; 7.2(g) Scuba instruction by private enterprise is prohibited

Nonetheless I have solo dived along the beaches there many, many times with no issues.

N

Barnegat Inlet state park does not permit solo diving in that inlet. That is the only ban on solo diving in NJ I'm aware of. I solo dive there occasionally anyway. I'm not sure if this regulation applies to schizophrenics.

There is a difference between an having an ordinance or rule prohibiting solo dives and having them actively enforced. I lost count of how many times I have dived at Laguna Beach or other areas that prohibit solo dives, I have yet to be nailed. There is just not a lot of motivation on the part of most authorities on the beach to chase down those dangerous solo divers unless you go out of your way to provoke them.

Back
Top Bottom