Mares ....Just add some customer service please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just spoke to Juan about TWO defective Mares masks I own. The pure vision has leaked since the day I purchased it. I informed the shop manager where it was purchased and he had no interest in sending it back. I have the same issue with an X-vu Liquid Skin that I purchased last summer from a different shop. I told the manager of that shop and again no offer to return it. I'm not sure if the required returns process for the distributor is so bad that they do not want to deal with it or if I am just in a unique situation.

Regardless, I did not want to make the situation uncomfortable by pushing the issue so I did not push the obvious, verbalized need to return these masks via the distributors. I called Juan at Mares today and he proceeded to tell me (his assumptions) that I was not dealing with the manager or owner of the shops when indeed I did in both cases. I told him I did not want to "tell on" the shops because it would create an uncomfortable situation for me. At that point he simply said well have a good weekend. Juan I understand the supply-demand chain process. In fact, I wrote a graduate level thesis about it so your explanation of what distributors are supposed to do and why you cannot help a consumer who purchased YOUR products is unnecessary. I am Mares customer just as I am the distributors'.

So now that I finally have time for some classes and trips, I have to buy two more masks because BOTH of these Mares masks are defective. I have no intention of buying more Mares products for myself or my family after today's experience. In fact, I am almost ready to give away what Mares products I have because I do not want to advertise for you.

Tn bowhunter, I couldn't agree more I sent the mares rep an e-mail asking info on the volo power and never heard anything back, then I read your post and now I'm hesitant to buy them.

whats up devildog ... are you active duty? I have a good buddy who is 2/4 8541.

I will not buy Mares anymore period. The guy (Juan) I spoke to at Mares in Florida could care less about helping me! He only wanted to tell me what I was doing wrong.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 06:26 PM ----------

Last edited:
Hi BowHunter,

I have spoken with our Corporate office and we are more than happy to help you.. I can’t speak to your conversation with Juan, however we will go back and listen to it to see how we can improve.

Please forward me your email in a PM. We will help you. Since you understand supply chain as you describe, I’m sure you understand that we will have processes that must be followed. Below are some options that you may find helpful.

• Send by email a picture of the mask showing the faulty issue to us including receipt
  • Return the masks to us for a replacement
  • Include proof of purchase
  • Or take them to an authorized Mares Dealer and they will do all of the above for you. (I don’t understand why the both stores denied sending the mask back for you) Please forward the stores names and contacts you spoke with in a PM.

Again, we are more than willing to help, we stand behind our product, however there is protocol required to facilitate any warranty claims. We simply can’t send out masks for anyone who calls and asks.

I hope you will find these resolutions acceptable and we look forward to assisting you with your problem.

Sincerely,

Zak

---------- Post added March 10th, 2013 at 09:49 AM ----------

Tn bowhunter, I couldn't agree more I sent the mares rep an e-mail asking info on the volo power and never heard anything back, then I read your post and now I'm hesitant to buy them.

Hi Devildog, I don't know who you sent your email to, however I don't recall receiving anything from you specifically. I can tell you if it was sent through scuba board, it's not the most reliable. I don't monitor this website 24/7. I'm supposed to get an email notification of when a new post is up, however it is not 100%. Often I do not get notified, and several days or longer could go by without my stumbling on it or worse it gets buried and I never see it. Anyhow, if you have a specific question please feel free to post it here, send me a PM. I'm happy to help.

Hi Zak, I interested in the mares volo power, my wife let me dive her's that are about 12 years old. I just inherited a pair of volo race that are almost brand new and they seem a lot stiffer and compared to my wifes volo power the race seemed more powerful. Have the volo powers changed any in the last 12 years.

I've never used a full foot so it was kind of different. If there isn't any difference in the two I think I'd rather have the open heel volo power. Is there any difference

Thanks Mike

Thank you to Mares for stepping up and standing behind your product. Zak, I appreciate your willingness to go out of your way to resolve my issue. I should not judge all of Mares by the action of one individual. Thank you again for resolving this issue.

I have used Mares gear for many years, and have always been very pleased with their customer service. The mere fact that Zak OHara takes the time and effort to personally handle issues such as this speaks volumes.

Other than Oceanic/Hollis what other companies do so for Scuba Board followers?

Greg Barlow

Zak thanks for replying as quick as you did I appreciate it. Just to let you know I'm going to keep the volo race and I also purchased a pair of the volo powers to, so now I have fins for everything.

Thanks Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom