Wetsuits and Women's sizing, where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Custom. Im 5'8" 150, and can buy a medium at costco or a size 8 anywhere, but i have yet to have an off the rack fit me, my last drysuit was a custom, my current shop brand suit is a ladies large, which is fine for limb length, but i have too much material. Save your self esteem and go for custom. Ive had quite a few ladies of your physical description in my classes, and they end up in stock mens xl short as the rental, which is still a poor fit....

I don't know if this will help, but I'm 5'8 and round. While I do not have the ego strength to post my actual weight, I have had good luck with the full Men's BARE Velocity wetsuits in the short length (not the shortie, just short v. tall). I have both a 2/3 and a 4/5 that fit well, probably because they are pretty stretchy. The key for me as a 20 W (wide) :) is that I have not found any women's suits in my size off-the rack. I decided to try some men's suits before going custom and I was lucky.

Question to all: Can one purchase a wetsuit and have the arms/legs shortened? Mine are fine, but the OP is 5'1"...

I'm not tall and once was more round. I did cut the length off of the legs on two of my old Mares wetsuits. They both had zips at the ankles. While I wasn't able to get anyone to replace the trim to finish the legs off nicely, a sports equipment repair shop neatly repositioned the pull tab and put new ends on the zips. If you try this, make sure not to cut the zipper portion before taking it to the sports equipment repair shop. Cutting the arms was not an option, so just rolled the extra length inside and up more on my wrist, not perfection, but onehelluva lot warmer than a shorty.

I'm still short but not near as big around, and have found the Bare Velocity suits are coming closer to fitting me. Yes, very stretchy, could stand to have a bit less sideways stretch . . . the girdle effect was a better look. hee hee

Last edited:
I would try on the couple/handful of brands your local shop carries, depending on whether any of them are "close" to fitting properly would determine whether I would bother driving anywhere to search for an off the rack fit. I would definitely try Bodyglove, their fit seems to lend it self to shorter/stockier with shorter arms and legs than some other brands such as Oneil, Aqualung. Luckily a 5mm will be a little more stretchier than a 7mm suit so a non perfect fit suit might still be comfortable enough.

There are a handful of custom suit manufacturers and the cost of the perfect fitting suit will be worth the extra money. Getting in and out of an ill fitting wetsuit is enough to make many a faint hearted diver give up cold water diving. Spend the extra time taking good care of the custom suit and the cost per dive will be nominal over an off the rack suit.

good luck and enjoy your new sport!

Thank you for all the responses! This certainly helps. I'm wondering if I should forgo the trek around the state to all the dive shops or just go to mine and if nothing fits, ask for their help with a custom order. Well, I think I will start a spreadsheet for all the brands and their sizing.

OMG! I thought I was the only one to use spreadsheets that way! Please share the info you find. None of us really fit the stock sizing charts. In order for the suits to fit me properly AROUND I have to deal with the torso that is longer than me. :wink:

yes, custom suit, or you can try a suit made of superstretchy neoprene.

where are you planning to dive? 5mm sounds like maybe not enough at home, but too much for many people in warm water.

Henderson has that super stretchy neoprene, i have the 5 mm and while i am within the "off the shelf" category i would think its worth a try, it is indeed very stretchy and comfortable

Wetsuit Wearhouse: 5mm Women's Henderson THERMOPRENE Wetsuit

Wetsuit size charts for women is probably the most difficult thing a manufacturer to master. I challenge anyone to find 10 women the same exact body shape. We aren't just tall, short, round, skinny... we have curves and that makes it difficult to create a size chart. So the manufacturers do their best by having lots of women try them on. I know, because I've been one of their testers. In the end, they take their best guess and hope they are close.

For me, they are never even close. I have an Aqua Lung Aqua Flex in 3 and 5mm, a SolAfx in 8mm, and a Whites Drysuit. According to the size chart I would be a solid 14. However I wear a size 6 in the 3mm, size 8 long in the 5mm, 10 long in the SolAfx 8mm and an XLarge in the drysuit.

The moral of this story is, you have to do the legwork and try them on. The best wetsuit for you is the one you feel good in, no matter the brand.

might look in "Juniors" in large sizes rather than adult suits (friend went that route recently). My wife is 5'-2" w/ a similar style build, and has had luck with Bare in the past. She got a Mares "She Dives" Tri-Lastic last year (its an 8-6-5 that she says is too warm) that is good on the fit, but long (closeout from Scuba.com at $199.00). Not sure any of this helps.......

If you are really serious about diving - Wetwear (out of FLorida) for a custom....... Prices are sililar to many "upper end" suits, and worth it if you are spending similar $$ for an off the rack.

Good News! I tried a different LDS than the first one I went to and they had a whole line of Henderson wetsuits. Whereas I couldn't even zip up the largest wetsuit at the other shop, I actually had to go down a size in the Henderson. I am short, so the 12 regular didn't fit lengthwise, but they ordered a 12 Short, it was on backorder for about a month, but today I went and said a prayer that this would fit and BINGO! It fits and the length works too. This was a stressor for me, so I am so relieved to have a wetsuit that fits, and a hooded vest and a new Oceanic Hera BC. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the BC.

So my message is don't just assume you have to go custom, try a few different places, and give Henderson a try. Their aqualock stretch neoprene seems to be more forgiving for the weeble wobbles in this world. :)

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. It paid off!

For anyone else with sizing problems: Waterproof (Swedish brand) has at least in the past offered more sizes than any other manufactuer.
They are a bit expensive, but excellent quality and they are esp. good for cold water (Swedes know more than a little about cold water).
WETSUITS | Waterproof Facing Reality

Back
Top Bottom