When the weather gets "Sporty" here in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark valley for the gators.

OTE=richkeller;6670810]I am going to be there in 12 days and am still looking for suggestions for the non-divers in my group.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever dove the West Coast?

Hydrocoral+at+Outer+Pinnacles.jpg

What you don't have is kelp forests! :cakefight: Photo credit: Rob L.

DSC_0185.jpg

Our maximums for diving are around 8 ft swells. We have been out in 15 ft swells with a long interval and had a great day of diving. We have taken my little boat out and dove in 10 ft swells a couple of times. Wind chop is the killer but the bigger boats go out in pretty nasty conditions. Short interval swells are the challenge with boats. Surge is the norm and to us bad surge is over 6 ft. 2-3 ft surge in 20 ft of water makes for a nice day of diving.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the Keys and the land sites to hit up! :D

Beautiful pix. What size/type boat do you have?

Beautiful pix. What size/type boat do you have?
I can't take credit for the photos, but do get to enjoy those types of reefs to dive on.

Zodiac MKII HD Futura Sport. Long enough name? It is 14 ft, and weighs in around 500lbs. In the process of making a device, from the parts of a powered wheelchair, to be able to drive itself to the water over the beach for launching in remote areas. Also sling launchable from a hoist. Nothing like you own, but it was cheap as in received in a trade, and my tow vehicle gets 30 mpg towing it, so it is very cost effective.

My friend has a 25' C-Dory.

I can't take credit for the photos, but do get to enjoy those types of reefs to dive on.

Zodiac MKII HD Futura Sport. Long enough name? It is 14 ft, and weighs in around 500lbs. In the process of making a device, from the parts of a powered wheelchair, to be able to drive itself to the water over the beach for launching in remote areas. Also sling launchable from a hoist. Nothing like you own, but it was cheap as in received in a trade, and my tow vehicle gets 30 mpg towing it, so it is very cost effective.

My friend has a 25' C-Dory.

Sounds like it does the job!. Love the Dories

Unfortunately the government sequestration will remove the military component from the air shows until we have a budget.

Posted using Tapatalk

not so with the airshow @ key west NAS on boca chica (3/23-24). friends(air trafffic controllers) working the airspace @ ZMA were advised earlier in the week that the show is on as planned with the blue angels the feature act. military training @ this NAS has been uninterrupted by the gridlock in washington,,,,,,,,,,,,

NAS Air Show Key West

reefman
key largo

not so with the airshow @ key west NAS on boca chica (3/23-24). friends(air trafffic controllers) working the airspace @ ZMA were advised earlier in the week that the show is on as planned with the blue angels the feature act. military training @ this NAS has been uninterrupted by the gridlock in washington,,,,,,,,,,,,

NAS Air Show Key West

reefman
key largo

Interesting. The Fort Lauderdale Airshow which draws a million spectators and is considered to be the most successful military recruiting show in the country is being told the military wont be able to participate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Key Largo has Sea Horses as well as flat worms and NUDIs. They're just not found on the reefs. :D

Pete,

Any suggestions on a public access site to look for seahorses and nudis? We will be there next week and it might be "Sporty" and we will also have a few non-diving days.

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

What a great thread! Netdoc told me about it today. I just created a "how to spend a rainy day in the Keys" handout for work but I won't be back to work until Tuesday. I'll post that list here Tuesday.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom