Snorkeling spots in St. Thomas and St. Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'm going on a family cruise that will stop in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Unfortunately, I won't be doing any diving. I wanted to get some recommendations for good snorkeling spots. Healthy reefs, good for kids and hopefully not too crowded. Also, is it a good idea to rent a car or walk or take a cab to these places?

ST. Maartens if you can get to Tinamar - it has great snorkeling. It is located on the French side, off of Orient Bay. Check with Sally or Chris at Octopus Diving - if he can't take you, then he will know who to recommend. Snorkeling Saint Martin | Octopus Diving | Scuba Dive & Snorkel St Martin / St Maarten If no luck there, then ask Jean-Michel at ScubaZen Club - Plongée - St Martin - PADI - Scuba Zen. You will need to rent a car to get to the dive shops. If you can organize a group among the passengers, then they might pick you up at the dock and take you to Tintamar - it is all about cost. I have used both those shops and the snorkeling is better on the French Side.

There was a snorkeling website for St. Martins, E.S.S. (Eco-Snorkeling Society ??) but I could not find it with a quick Google search. Maybe you will have better luck. This is a commercial site, but not the same ECO - SNORKELING PINEL. Isle Pinel is only one of the E.S.S. recommended sites.

Hope that helps. I was there last week.

if you are only there for the day i would agree with above about heading to the north end of orient beach. you can do it on your own though if you don't want to hire a shop as a guide.
we are returning in may. we are hoping to visit that area this time around for a day.

google "tintamarre" or "pinel island" st martin for info

Back
Top Bottom