MAres ICON HD Question--- I looked for the answer already! hope someone can help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmckaig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all.

I am new to Nitrox and working through settings on the HD integrated model. I am running 36%eanx and, when I set that in my Icon, I go to dive planner and it shows only to 79' at like 48 minutes. The computer shows that the EANx blend is correct on the home screen and, that the MOD is 95'.

So, I looked at the P settings and I am on the most liberal on so I should be fine there

Then checked the PO2 and that is set to 1.4 so should be good there...

The dive planner plain should go to at least 95' at least

If I exceed the 79' depth is the computer going to alarm? I should be able to cruise between 95 and 114 (95 conservativly and 114 if not paying attention...)

Thoughts... does my question make sense

Matthew

Hey Matthew, you are right

"it shows only to 79' " strange :confused: should be 97 feet with your settings.

I never get such a "strong :wink:" nitrox mix. But I used several times 32 - 34 % and the dive planner shows the correct metric depth of MOD.
So for test set your computer to metric units. The value of MOD should be at 29.4 meters.
I don't know, whether the alarm will be shown, may be not if they use the metric values as base for calculation and just to display they convert them.

Uli

is your altitude set to sea level?

did you setup the nitrox as g2 or g1

if thats not it assuming you have not used the computer yesterday try a factory reset and put in the nitrox % and see what it says

Working from tables - 36% @ 94 FSW is the equivalent to diving to 70 FSW on air. Using air at 70 FSW has a no-deco limit of 48 minutes. Moving up to the next table step 36% @ 106 FSW ≡ 80 FSW on air. Using air at 80 FSW has a no-deco limit of 39 minutes. Max depth's for 36% are: 1.4-95 FSW, 1.5-104 FSW, 1.6-113 FSW. Are you sure you aren't set to 1.2 bar?

---------- Post added March 15th, 2013 at 09:38 AM ----------

Charged my battery and the 36% settings you gave give me a deepest plan of 79 FSW and 51 minutes and a MOD of 97 FSW. Fooled around with changing settings one by one, including trying 32%. In all cases the planner stopped short of the MOD. Doesn't make sense to me. I've heard that the Mares computer model is very conservative but that's just nuts. The whole idea of nitrox is to go deeper longer.

When I switched to dive mode profile it showed the MOD in red at the correct depth so I would guess no alarm or lock out. Still, I'd like to know for sure. The manual is terrible. I'm going to try to research this and try to contact Mares and look for some Icon forum. Wish me luck. I'll let you all know what I find.

Tried the Mares site - less useful than the manual and no Contact Us link. So I emailed the place I bought it from and their tech support believes it to be a software error. They are contacting Mares through their sales representative and will get back to me when they get an answer. In the meantime use your tables for planning. I believe that the Icon will work properly with Nitrox (EANx) on a dive and it's just the planning algorythm is effed up. I will be real careful to keep track on the first time I use it for EANx though. Probably will plan a first dive as a checkout to test it.

as an update i exceeded the "mod" in the "planner but didnt exceed the "36% nitrox MOD at 1.4" and there was no alarms and lockouts.

I too called MARES direct, they are in theory looking into it. I am sure once the guys in italy have a look they will sort it out.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it's just the planning that's off. Kind of makes you wonder how much the planning function is used if it took this long to id the problem. Maybe it's just that nobody is using EANx?

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it's just the planning that's off. Kind of makes you wonder how much the planning function is used if it took this long to id the problem. Maybe it's just that nobody is using EANx?

You are right. I also think the planner isn't used very often. I get the MOD by setting the EANx value in Dive Setting menu. Never took a lock into planner because it shows only the dive time when you make the dive to the respective depth - and I guess you always will do a multi-level dive. While diving computer always works correct, showing an alert when reaching the MOD.
But nevertheless I will place a ticket at the mares site.

Uli

Edit: Ticket placed !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom