Funny diving stories for the book I should write....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's just lack of snorkeling practice.

Not in my case; I snorkeled Cozumel for years before I started diving. It wasn't inexperience at snorkeling, it was sheer dumbassery. I didn't realize I was still on the snorkel until I was several feet down, and I had no idea where my reg was.

Nope, it was just plain stupid what I did. I didn't have a snorkel or a regulator in my mouth. It didn't take me long to figure it out though.
That's just lack of snorkeling practice. After many years of regular snorkeling you seem to develop a sixth sense that what you're drawing in is water and not air and you stop inhaling even before your mouth gets wet. I must have changed from my snorkel to my regulator many times during descent without ever swallowing or inhaling any water. Even with empty lungs (long exhale to start descending) it shouldn't be an issue.

When snorkeling in choppy water with a conventional snorkel it's regularly full of water so the start of the inhale is always slow to see if the airway is clear.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TUTs_mama
removed the butt-plug from the back of our BCs before flying

I find I have absolutely no clue what this means. Care to enlighten me?

I guessed/hoped that the "rear dump valve" was what they were talking about.
Two things: first, I have never heard it referred to using those terms.
second, can you imagine the reaction on a boat if someone said "I forgot my butt plug, anybody have a spare that they can lend me" ?.........

Again, my "pre-flight inspection checklist" husband said that I had to remove the little vent on the end of my horseshoe BC before flying with it. Not sure if this is accurate, but it made him happy that I removed it...
There is such a thing as a horse collar BC, but I doubt that's what you have. Your profile says it's a Zeagle Ranger, a pretty standard back-inflate BC. AFAIK, there is absolutely nothing you need to do to your BC before flying with it. The only TSA regulations that affect diving are those involving tanks and knives. Tanks have to be empty, and it's usually best to remove the valve so there's no question. Knives (and other tools) can't be brought in carry-on, only checked bags. Although even that rule might be history if the latest TSA changes take effect (at least for smaller dive knives).

So next time, leave your "butt plug" in place and all will be fine.

miked, I probably should have put somewhere on my profile that I lack a filter, and really, it is a plug, by the butt and it always makes us chuckle when we say it, but yes, I was referring to what is standardly referred to as a "rear dump valve" :D.... and I would with great joy announce I needed to borrow someone's "rear dump valve" in my standard terminology to get a crowd reaction, but, in my experience, most divers seem to share the same sense of humor I have (thankfully!).

Mossman, yes I have a Zeagle and yeah, I did not think I needed to remove it either, such a pain in the butt-plug putting it back on.... thank you for checking that! Next trip, no removing my butt plug for the flight :eyebrow:

we were on our way to a dive on lake erie early sunday morning, a hung over drunk was on the vhf radio expounding on bible and how the wages of sin were death and that was the word of the lord. lorain coast guard responded with "channel 16 is a hailing and distress frequency only and that is the word of the coast guard" we loao.

Am I the only one who has numerous times gone to the back of the boat and started gearing up with hat, sunglasses and no mask?

STARTED??? How about doing the whole dive with your hat on?
[video=youtube;jnMFPG3di3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMFPG3di3c&list=UU4d4yQwJT13A6n5bXzVNx3Q& index=13[/video]

Can I just say that it's hard to maintain trim when your hat fills with air every time you exhale...

---------- Post added May 17th, 2013 at 04:15 PM ----------

I don't know if this is funny, or just funny to me because it happened to my husband....

A week ago, my best friend and I went diving at our local lake. We had just returned from Hawaii and had removed the butt-plug from the back of our BCs before flying. She made it the hour and a half from her house to the lake only to find that she had never replaced the plug. So she borrows my husband's plug, who launches into a "pre-flight inspection checklist" tyraid... multiple times since that week might I add :-/

So Friday the husband and I make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Monterey to do some diving at the BW. The morning we are suppose to meet our friends, my "pre-flight inspection checklist" husband informs me that he forgot his regulator! The whole dang set-up! We go to the local dive shop and they do hook him up, but then they tell him their low-pressure inflator hose will not work on his integrated octo. So at this point, I be laughing my arse off that he is out a BC also. Luckily, the dive shop got everything sorted out and my husband was able to dive.

The audacity of it all was when I told him that his mistake was like that of my besties, he responded that all of the equipment he brought was in perfect working order, at least. All right buddy ;-) !!!

On the subject of "butt-plugs"...
[video=youtube;G2y8Sx4B2Sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/video]

And it's really not something most people would be comfortable sharing with another... :rofl:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TUTs_mama
removed the butt-plug from the back of our BCs before flying

I guessed/hoped that the "rear dump valve" was what they were talking about.
"Rear dump valve" isn't much better. :)

Back
Top Bottom