Another 'Bent" Tongan Diver and recent multiple deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dondon462

Contributor
Reaction score
Hobart Australia or China or Fiji or on dive Boat
# of dives
Today I learnt of another “Dive accident” in Tonga….One of the local Tongan divers, Hunting “treasure”and removing artifacts from an Historic Wrecks site, without the appropriate Archeological surveys (See my previous post “Underwater Cultural Vandalism in Tonga&#8221:wink: is now reported as “bent” and suffering serious problems from the waist down. There is no information on cause of the accident at this time, or the “Dive qualification”of the diver, but we know he has no DAN insurance, (with the nearest chamber in Fiji),so unless they are able to quickly “cash up” some of the “finds”, I doubt they will want to pay for hyperbaric treatment. These divers use basic equipment,often dive deep, never have “Oxygen” or first aid kits handy and are often not professionally trained. They are also working hard!

It is sad that anyone gets bent and it can happen. I have a friend with 5000 dives, who was recently Bent, but the right treatment has minimized any permanent damage. When I took my ship “Sir Hubert Wilkins” to the Philippines in 2003 chasing a ”Spanish Galleon”, I had a recompression chamber onboard. Every diver did a check dive in that chamber before I let them join the team. We ran very controlled “dive profiles”, yet in the five months on site, we used that chamber “Operationally” five times..and we were only working 24mtrs..

Over the past few years, there have been “Multiple”Diving deaths in Tonga.I am confident none would have been reported here, as none have relatives anywhere else in the world and none were tourist. All these dead divers were chasing “Treasure”too, but not gold this time....instead it was and still is ..SeaSlugs, Sea cucumber, Bache demure, and they were all local Tongan divers who died, with no insurance and no money for medical follow up. My partner is Chinese and when I am not involved with my own www.bluetreasure.me operation in Tonga, I work and live in China, love the food and people ..BUT...In the rush to get bigger and more valuable “Sea Slugs”which are deeper than Free diving depth…the Chinese traders, gave FREE SCUBA sets, to fit healthy Tongan free divers and said “Go For It”….no training, no computers,no tables, no nothing… just fill up the bottle, put the hose in your mouth and go for it!!..so they did and still do!!.

When the first local divers started getting sick, it was just part of the job for a good $$ return. Some time later, when the first person died, it sure was sad for the family. When the second person died, some people started to ask questions…but the Chinese traders were completely untouchable and the families of the deceased got nothing…it took another death before it even became a topic for “discussion” in the local papers. .even the total numberof deaths is not clear,but it is apparently over four!

Tonga has some of the most beautiful people in the world and is a unique Kingdom in the Pacific. It is also a totally amazing dive destination, with some very professional PADI dive operators, so come and enjoy.

I love Tonga and treasure my health!

Last edited:
The harvesting of sea slugs and sea cucumbers for the Chineses is also being performed in Fiji and under some similar circumstances. The pastor at my mother's church travels frequently to Fiji where he pays the locals to dive for these animals and then he sells them to the Chinese. The dive practices in Fiji are so bad that I was told they will dive to the point were their ears are bleeding (so they are not even being trained to equalize their ears properly). As with in Tonga, I am sure that there are more serious injuries and deaths that are just not reported to the public due to unsafe practices.

This reminds me of a recent BBC video series I saw called "Human Planet." In the Oceans part, they have a whole portion documenting Philippine divers diving and setting large nets to catch fish. They dive using a really bad compressor running plastic tubing into their mouths - no regs, no gear. They regularly get bent and "massage" the nitrogen bubbles out while under water. It is really shocking to see.

Hi
Very sad to hear of another Tonga accident. We are in the process of setting up a non profit group in Fiji to do diver education and training specifically aimed at the Beche-de-mere industry but equally applicable for any divers in similarly vulnerable situations. An uphill battle for sure but having worked with dozens of local divers in Fiji, I am sure many accidents are avoidable and safety can be hugely increased without great expense. I'll post on SB when we are more advanced in a few months.
Thanks for the info. Always useful to know what is happening.
Tuts_mama - could you find out where you mother's church's pastor has been visiting in Fiji? If he doesn't mind you telling me of course. Please assure him that this is not to inform on the divers as it were, just to make contact if I don't know them already.
Thanks
Greg

Hey Lopez...in my other life in 2003 I owned a 36mtr ship with the works..5 man recompresion chamber, nitrox, helicopter etc..and went treasure hunting..with Govt. approcals..in the Philippines...the keep onside with the locals as we were having trouble with the NPA terrorists...I employed local fish divers to assist clearing the mouth of the 4inch airlift dredge. They used wooden had carved eye goggles, chain wrap around waist weight belt, fins cut from the side of plastic cooking oil containers held on by inner tubes and a garden hose blowing air into their mouth 24mtrs down from a SS beer keg getting air from fridge compressor driven by a petrol engine on their outrigger canoe on the surface. WE had surface supply or Nitorx twins, computers and all the gear. We had to run all their dive tables and dive profiles/surface time etc and watch them like hawkes..they were really happy as they normally dive over 30 mtrs spearing fish working real hard..there is no fish left on the reefs, as has ALL been taken by Cyanide or explosives or mesh nets and then even fish down to a few inches by the women on the reef...it was sad...anyway we brightened their day!! and kept them alive....Hey Greg good luck with the Diver education..My boat is at Vuda Marina...headed back to Tonga early May

DonDon that's exactly what I was referring to. Really interesting to watch on tv, but I bet way more interesting in real life! Thanks for sharing your story

Hi Dondon462 , let me know if you are up in Suva. Catch up for a beer. Would love to hear your treasure hunting tales :)
Greg

This reminds me of a recent BBC video series I saw called "Human Planet." In the Oceans part, they have a whole portion documenting Philippine divers diving and setting large nets to catch fish. They dive using a really bad compressor running plastic tubing into their mouths - no regs, no gear. They regularly get bent and "massage" the nitrogen bubbles out while under water. It is really shocking to see.

We saw this practice in Vanuatu. They were stripping the reef of fish to sell to overseas pet shops :shocked2:

Not at all necessary anymore. The aquarium industry has evolved to the point where 99% of trade corals and fish can be bred and propagated in captivity. As long as there is a demand, though, this crap will continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom