Epcot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grayeagle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
can anyone tell me if the epcot dive quest is worth my time and $ ?

It was for me. The behind the scenes look and the chance to get that close to the big sandtigers at the time was cool. It was also nice that the family could see me doing what I do. Worst part was they overweight the hell out of you.

It was nice for me too
I was not overweighted. I was actually under weight slightly. If I stayed near the bottom I was fine but if I came up a bit I was too light. Teu have extra weights on a line I should have grabbed at first.

They let you keep any sharks teeth you find. That's cool. Look up what sand tiger shark teeth look like before you go. They are smaller and skinnier than I was looking for so I probably overlooked them. The bottom is crushed shells so it is tough to pick them out from the shells but the sharks have a set path they like to swim. Just find the path and search the bottom.

Playing with the people in the restaurant and the kids at the windows was the best part.

Behind the scenes was cool too. The 4:00 group had about 12 people in it. I went with the 5:00 group and there was only 4 of us.

"What they said".Another vote for "it is definitely worth it".
I've done it 3 times , the last 2 on school trips ( I'm a teacher). Having 150+ high school students waving at you through the glass was quitye the experience....or perhaps they were rooting for the sharks :)

I had a great time interacting with the children on the other side of the glass. And the behind the scenes tour was interesting too.

Its not a reef diving experience, its a chance to be part of a show, like stepping into your television.

They video the dive, and then try to sell you the video. They wanted the group to kneel on the bottom in a semicircle, and I frustrated then by refusing to do so and hovering in my assigned position. Even for Mickey, a girl has to have limits to what she will do....

That sounds like so much fun! Now I might be inclined to return to Epcot one day, just to do this dive!

Here's some other thoughts on shorediving.com's website.... Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Epcot Dive Quest of Florida, USA East

I think the dive is worth doing once even though it is expensive; how many times will you get to dive in one of the largest aquarium's in North America? But I put this in the 'bucket list' sort of dives: its not one I'd likely repeat unless I got a big group discount to do so.

I've also dove the tank at the Georgia Aquarium and it is a superior experience, but more expensive too.

My advice: take the plunge and enjoy a 'bucket list' dive

+5, I'm glad I did it once in 2008 while in Orlando on a business trip. $175 is pretty steep for a 40 minute dive (exactly 40, thought the DM was going to yank me to the surface) but it's actually a fun 3 hour activity. The behind the scenes tour was quite interesting. They give you a 3 mm shortie, I asked for and received the correct amount of weight. The water was about 78 degrees. The sharks and rays were in pretty good shape, some of the reef fish looked pretty sad, probably not that easy to keep all the fish healthy in a tank. Easily, the most fun part of the dive was playing with all the people looking into the tank, especially the little kids. The smiles on their faces when you would interact with them individually was priceless, or at least worth the admission price.

If I found myself with a free day in Orlando again, I'd be tempted to make the 150 mile trip to Jupiter. JDC has a great 3 tanker every Fri and Sun morning, you could be back by dinner.

Also note that you do not have to pay admission to the park to do the dive. You meet outside the gates on the side and they take you in behind the scenes. After the dive is over they let you leave through the aquarium so now you are in the park. I did the 5pm dive and then left through the aquarium afterward and went to watch the firework show at 8.

They have showers with soap and shampoo so you can get cleaned up afterward.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom