Accomplished Bad Divers - John Chatterton's Blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will never understand people with this type of mindset. Also, Mr. Chatterton is a HUGE fan of question marks.

What the %#*(@ are you talking about??????????????????????????????????????????

:)

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 09:42 AM ----------

Was this story in defense of "This reg is for me"? Because it would help me understand how you would let someone DIE.

Okay, Mr I Don't Know How to Read, And Just Make Stuff Up...... no air for you for 2 weeks!!!!!!

I like exclamation marks, too!!!!

Signed

The Air Nazi

John's story brings to mind my experience with a couple divers on a charter in Neah Bay a few years ago. Between dives I was talking to the divemaster as she was filling tanks. As she was hooking the whip up to one tank I noticed the valve move. She casually reached up, tightened it down, and proceeded to fill it. I asked her "Did that guy run out of air?" She said "Every dive". Apparently his gas management plan is to dive until his tank goes empty, then do a CESA. Fortunately, it was a small tank and there was no decompression involved. She told me the guy's been diving like that since the '70's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think we can and should learn from both our own mistakes and from the Accomplished Badness we see in others. I've done dives where I've cut things a little too close or taken unnecessary risks, and I don't want to repeat them. I've also dove with somebody where I decided I didn't want to be a diver like him, nor did I ever want to dive with him again.

He was an instabuddy on a liveaboard for a couple of dives that my usual buddies were sitting out (or diving a different plan, I can't remember which). He had already lost his camera once on the trip, but it was somehow found floating and recovered. On one of the dives, he forgot his computer on the boat and had to ask the crew to get it for him before he descended. On the first dive, he led us in the wrong direction trying to get to the reef; we eventually found it, though no thanks to him. At some point on that dive, he lost his camera again. After the boat got underway, he told the crew about his camera and must have asked to dive the site again to try to find it, so we turned around. We hopped in, then he had to ask the crew to hand him down his weights. After zigzagging around the reef and not finding the camera (nobody expected to find it except the guy who lost it), we weren't sure how far we'd gotten from the boat, he popped to the surface to look and came back down with a direction not once but three times on the way to the wrong boat. I stopped short of that boat when I saw the underside of their dinghy and realized something was off. He kept swimming toward the boat, then I surfaced to watch him proceed to get onto the wrong boat. I turned around to see our boat about 150m or so away. Swimming back to the boat, I decided 2 things, 1) I wasn't diving with him again, 2)I was going to make sure than I became a better divemaster than he was. ... He wasn't dangerous (that I saw), but I'm sure he'd quickly become the bane of a boat crew's existence.

We dove in Indonesia with a very nice photographer gentleman. His way of executing a dive was to go down and take pictures until either his card was full, or he ran out of gas. The resort knew him; he got his own personal dive guide on every dive, who was there to share gas with him to get him to the surface.

I can't imagine being that cavalier about my own survival, even on the relatively shallow reef dives of Lembeh, let alone on the deep technical dives that Mr. Chatterton is describing.

John's story brings to mind my experience with a couple divers on a charter in Neah Bay a few years ago. Between dives I was talking to the divemaster as she was filling tanks. As she was hooking the whip up to one tank I noticed the valve move. She casually reached up, tightened it down, and proceeded to fill it. I asked her "Did that guy run out of air?" She said "Every dive". Apparently his gas management plan is to dive until his tank goes empty, then do a CESA. Fortunately, it was a small tank and there was no decompression involved. She told me the guy's been diving like that since the '70's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I was in graduate school (late 1990s) I met someone in Maine who'd been diving this exact way for at least 20 years. Seemed like he dove alot, even in NE winters, so probably at least 500 CESA dives. Obviously something was working for him with this plan.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 09:35 AM ----------

I can't imagine being that cavalier about my own survival, even on the relatively shallow reef dives of Lembeh

What makes you think he was cavalier? Like I said above, people who dive this way become very accomplished at CESAs. People who learned to dive in the pre-SPG days have a different perspective on CESAs, since it was pretty common to have the reserve rod pulled ahead of time and go OOA. Or not get a full fill at all since the reserve rod wasn't opened by the fill station.

If you are in 50-70 feet or so, it really is NOT hard to ascend when your regulator gives the first hint of a restriction. I used to golf ball dive in water so dirty it was impossible to read any gages (often). Over many hundreds of dives, i would not start my ascent and return trip back to the golf cart until it became hard to breath. It probably helped that I had this 30 yr old first stage that didn't work so well when the pressure dropped..

If you breath slowly and gently, you can get a lot of usable air from a tank that is very low, if you are not really deep.

The biggest take away I get from John's story is that an accomplished bad diver is not just someone who doesn't learn from their mistakes, but probably does not even realize that they have made a mistake in the first place. One of my favorite parts about diving is that virtually every dive can be a learning experience-- whether I've made a mistake or not.

During my AOW deep dive training in Hood Canal, at which time I only had a few more than my OW certification dives under my belt, my gage read out of air at 70'. I had completed the exercises my instructor had me do 100', but it was pretty dark and I was most likely slightly narced. I had a hard time reading my computer. As we ascended, at about 70' is when I realized I was going to need some assistance. I got the attention of my instructor (he was only a foot or two away), and tapped my palm with my fingers indicating "air" then held up my computer so he could see my reading. He nodded and since he was to my right, he proceeded to move to my left side. I knew exactly what he was doing - getting into the correct position for me to share his air via his octopus. I waited for him to get into position then removed my regulator and took his octopus. We proceeded to ascend with the appropriate safety stops. Even though this routine was only practiced maybe a couple of times during OW training, it seemed totally natural to me (other other being slightly embarrassed that I had sucked up all my air). To be honest, I am grateful for the experience. I learned a skill, practiced a skill, and then utilized a skill. By it happening so early in my diving experience it is something I will always remember and give the proper respect to. I didn't take running out of air lightly, but i don't take my training lightly either. And kudos to Steve, my instructor, for the calm, confident, and thorough training he allowed me.

I met my friend Tim during our Divemaster class. He later mentored me through years of deep wreck dives. I used to call him a floating dive shop. He used double 120s with a thirty foot hose looped behind his manifold. He carried five lights with him, and not the streamlined canister types but the large, bulky handhelds. He had two consoles taped together so that he had a backup for everything. He also carried a large mesh bag with a crowbar and parts and accessories unknown to common man.
Although he was certified for trimix, he made several deep air dives each year to save money. I'm not talking about 150' dives either. His goal was to dive to 600 feet. He made it as far as 400 feet once. He said he looked away from his gauge to check out the reef for a few moments. When he looked back at his gauge, his vision was so blurred that he couldn't make out the numbers. He ascended, leaving his reel on the reef.
My ex-wife used to tell him to log his dives so we could write a book about him after he died. Unfortunately, he did just that a year later during a deep air dive at Farnsworth Bank, Catalina Island. is body was never recovered, so we don't know what happened to him.

I met my friend Tim during our Divemaster class. He later mentored me through years of deep wreck dives. I used to call him a floating dive shop. He used double 120s with a thirty foot hose looped behind his manifold. He carried five lights with him, and not the streamlined canister types but the large, bulky handhelds. He had two consoles taped together so that he had a backup for everything. He also carried a large mesh bag with a crowbar and parts and accessories unknown to common man.
Although he was certified for trimix, he made several deep air dives each year to save money. I'm not talking about 150' dives either. His goal was to dive to 600 feet. He made it as far as 400 feet once. He said he looked away from his gauge to check out the reef for a few moments. When he looked back at his gauge, his vision was so blurred that he couldn't make out the numbers. He ascended, leaving his reel on the reef.
My ex-wife used to tell him to log his dives so we could write a book about him after he died. Unfortunately, he did just that a year later during a deep air dive at Farnsworth Bank, Catalina Island. is body was never recovered, so we don't know what happened to him.

Interesting combination of recklessness and attention to redundancy. It's the weakest link that kills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom