Flights to Wakatobi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I'm trying to plan my trip to Wakatobi, but the charter flight that the resort offers is almost $700! I have heard that Express Air flies to Wangi Wangi via Jakarta/Makassar, but was told that a boat was needed upon arrival to transfer to Wakatobi resort. This boat transfer, according to a Wakatobi spokesperson, "in all likelihood" will cost as much as the charter flight that wakatobi offers . Does anyone have any cheaper alternatives? Thanks

Since Wakatobi Dive Resort is not on a public boat route, if you want to fly to Wangi Wangi and take a boat over, you would need to charter a private boat. It's my understanding that to charter a private boat from Wangi Wangi to Wakatobi will cost at least $200 each way (you have to bargain, and it could cost much more), so yes, you're looking at a minimum of $400 for boat charter plus your flight to Wangi Wangi, plus whatever porter service you need.

Wakatobi Dive Resort is not a budget option, and the charter flight isn't a budget trip--there's no weight limit on baggage, you are ushered through the whole airport on arrival at Bali from your commercial flight (including VIP assistance through immigration and customs) and on departure from Bali to Wakatobi (including lounge access), and you land at a private airstrip to go to the resort. If you are looking to save money on the cost of the flight to dive in the Wakatobi area, you would be better off going to a different resort. There's one that's an upscale place offering airport transfers between the Wangi-Wangi airport and the resort. There are also less expensive options for dive centers on Tomia and Hoga, and those will advise you on the ins and outs of travel to the islands.

Ive looked at Wakatobi from Makassar by boat - will add roughly two days travel time either side and the boat is ah, rustic.

I agree with Quero. One of the big advantages of WDR is the convenience of getting there by direct and easy charter (as opposed to say Raja Ampat). If you are willing to add the travel hassles, maybe look at some other options and destinations.

Very helpful. Thanks Quero. I guess I should have explained that I won this trip in a photo competition but the flights aren't covered in the prize. I guess I will just have to fork over the money for the flight. Thanks all.

If someone handed me a free ticket to Wakatobi, I'd be ecstatic to pay $700 for the shuttle flight!

Yeah, I'm with Highdesert on this one.... I'm heading to Wakatobi April 24th, I'm ECSTATIC that they have the charter flight and I don't have to spend 3 days getting there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom