Batteries for YSD1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bvanant knows what he is talking about and is right
I have annsmann maxE 2500 for the YS-01 they do 4 dives in TTL and even when they are nearly dead they fire at similar power
Instead normal NiMH will get weaker and charge the strobe in longer time as they get tired
Invest in good batteries and a charger it is worth it

I'm using ysd1.

Don't think there's compulsory case for choosing particular brand for a strobe. I don think a strobe is that smart enough to identify what's the brand you're using. That's ridiculous. Guess you read it wrong, people recommend eneloop just because it's one of the best rechargeable battery, and i use them for ysd1 strobes too. However, i used energizer normal batteries which is not rechargeable as my eneloop batteries ran low during my last dive last weekend. And they works too.

I've been using Energizer low discharge 2300mah for a while in my -D1, but recently, I had a set last less than 2 dives. Normally, they'd last 3. I've only had them for a few months, and when I test them in my charger they check out, so I'm not sure what to make of them. I'm currently trying Duracell Duraloc 2450mah batteries to see how good they are.

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries in my S2000 strobes and easily get 3 dives. I didn't notice until I read this thread that my batteries are all 1900mAh. Maybe that's the standard Sanyo have for this area. I bought some in Singapore and some here in Australia.

As posted before, I use both Lenmars & Eneloops. I have no idea how many dives I would get on my YS110's as I swap batteries every dive. Just part of the ritual. Fresh batteries means they will last the whole dive with no surprises. I hate surprises.

I do know that I use the target light on my strobes as my night dive lights. I do not use a separate target light and no longer use a dive light. The target lights are surprising bright. No where near as bright as my dive buddies old school Ikelite RCD-8 monstrosity, but bright enough to find the fishes. They are good for 60 minutes no problem. And all the shots i can take. But I am not willing to trust them to last another dive afterwards. So I recharge / swap every dive.

I use a lenmar fast charger that charges them in around an hour. I have no idea if this is good or bad for the batteries.

I am on my third set in 6 years but they also do double duty in my Wii motes (which we use as remote controls for our TV) and wireless mouse(s) at home. They are regularly abused.

So my minimum requirement is that the batteries power the target light for 60 minutes and serve up about 100 flashes. When they fail to do this on a night dive and force me to dig an actual dive light out of my BC pocket, I buy a new set of batteries before the next trip.

They also power our Ikelite PCa Halogen dive lights as well. But these are backup lights that we tuck in our BC's. Always have 'em. Just in case I want to look into a dark hole.

I think the more interesting metric would be how many flashes your battery last and not how many dives. Towards the end of the week I use the camera less and less. So fewer flashes would mean more dives. Shorter dives also mean more dives.

P.S. The strobe mode may also affect this. Shooting manual at full power should cause more drain than TTL mode would.

You're right about the number of flashes , but then at what power are the strobes? I know after a couple of years that I can confidently dive three times without having to change strobe batteries for the sort of photography I do. However I will get some new batteries before going to Anilao in May as I am still using the original Sanyo Eneloops. I also have an Ikelite RCD torch (with four D cells) and it is a great light , but not for travelling!

Indeed these (
The
Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries)
are NOT low internal discharge batteries (at least according to Sanyo) so I would still recommend the XX versions. About 5 per battery at Thomas Distributing.
Bill

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries in my S2000 strobes and easily get 3 dives. I didn't notice until I read this thread that my batteries are all 1900mAh. Maybe that's the standard Sanyo have for this area. I bought some in Singapore and some here in Australia.

Now that I have my glasses on I can see they are 1900mAh minimum. I can also see that the batteries I bought in Singapore are older 3UTG models whereas the Aussie ones are 3UTGA with the crown logo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom