Sea & Sea fiber optic socket for additional strobe's output

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just got a 2nd Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe and I had an observation.

Since I don't have a Sea & Sea housing that accepts both fiber connections from the camera's housing, I had to use the daisychain method. What I noticed is in DS-TTL mode, that if I turn the level of the 1st strobe's intensity in the daisychain down, then 2nd strobe's intensity also went down. I am able to reduce the 2nd strobe's intensity via its own knob. Thus I am never able to control the light balance where it will be brighter in the side where the fiber optic cable is connected first.

I always assumed the slave strobe trigger in the strobe was a LED re-emitter from the signal of the fiber optic input, but then looking at it again, it might just be some mirror setup where it redirects some of the light from the strobe to it. I am wondering why they took the shortcut?

Am I suppose to hook up a 2nd fiber optic cable from the camera housing? If that was the case, I should have just got one of those cheapo fantasea ones which has a bare fiber optic cable at one end instead of the Sea&Sea which has 2 of its plug in both ends.

What are the practices of people that has dual Sea & Sea strobes fired by fiber optics?

I would always have separate FO cables and let the slaving work its wonders. Daisy chain is something I have never seen but understand why you would be getting what you are getting!

A FO cable set up costs next to nothing my two came out to $5 for both assuming you have the plug (which I didn't in one of mine).

I already am using the Sea & Sea Mask set Sea & Sea Strobe Mask Set #50109 | Bluewater Photo & Video which has a plug for 1 Sea & Sea fiber optic cable. That is why I can't run another Sea & Sea fiber optic cable...given that the strobe had the daisychain option.

If I use this cable, Fantasea Nano Fiber Optic Cable Kit #6315 I would have to remove my existing mast and use 2 of these cables.

I don't have any plug on its own, so all my cables would have had to be made.

That looks like the Fantasea connector with 2 cables coming out. I could get rid of everything and get 2 fantasea cable setup for $50.

There is this funky thing though. Xit 404 Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Mount for Olympus Housings

Although the way it is used, it seem to let alot of the internal flash's light pass the diffuser. Too bad it doesn't allow easy underwater removal, which is what I need sometimes when there are just too much coral or branches in the way for me to aim the strobe properly, thus direct flash would have probably been the best solution.

Attachments

• xit-ssfom_2.jpg
    xit-ssfom_2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 318
That looks like the Fantasea connector with 2 cables coming out. I could get rid of everything and get 2 fantasea cable setup for $50.

There is this funky thing though. Xit 404 Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Mount for Olympus Housings

Although the way it is used, it seem to let alot of the internal flash's light pass the diffuser. Too bad it doesn't allow easy underwater removal, which is what I need sometimes when there are just too much coral or branches in the way for me to aim the strobe properly, thus direct flash would have probably been the best solution.

Lwang - Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't you just punch another hole in hte sea n sea mask set you have and insert a 10mm plug (from any car accesories supplier $2.50) and insert another cable? Total cost about $5.

I must be missing something here. Not unusual.

Lwang - Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't you just punch another hole in hte sea n sea mask set you have and insert a 10mm plug (from any car accesories supplier $2.50) and insert another cable? Total cost about $5.

I must be missing something here. Not unusual.

what part is that? I never have seen such a plug. I presume it has to be tighten onto the velcro so when I pull the fiber cable out, the plug will stay on. I had to do a DIY replacement diffuse so the current fiber optic cable could fit.

Resurrecting this thread... Is the Sea & Sea socket 10mm, 6.5mm or 5mm, though? I seem to have read all of the above in various places. Anybody else have success finding such a part and have more details attaching it to an existing Sea & Sea strobe mask?

Last edited:
image.jpg
I'm using inon cap set for 2 strobe FO input as above. It works sth like below

image.jpg

If there's no hole to hold the capset, you can buy FO mount kit or any plastic do-it-yourself, cut a hole and paste it on your housing like below.

image.jpg

Resurrecting this thread... Is the Sea & Sea socket 10mm, 6.5mm or 5mm, though? I seem to have read all of the above in various places. Anybody else have success finding such a part and have more details attaching it to an existing Sea & Sea strobe mask?

6 mm, or 1/4" is what I have used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom