Need Strobe Arm Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entacmaea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there, just wondering if there is an appreciable difference between ultralight arms/clamps verses the Bigblue brand arms/clamps? Does anyone have any experience? I'm looking at two 5" arms and three clamps for a YS-D1 strobe, and the BigBlue arms are half $25 of the Ultralight arms $48. (Clamps are the same price) Only difference I can tell is a resin ball on the Bigblue and aluminum on the ultralight- any advice?

Thanks! Best, Peter

No experience with BigBlue but I have ULC arms and they look as good as they were when I bought them back in 1995.

Ulc arm is good and long lasting, but don't think the brand is affecting your photography. The problem you should concern is the length and type of photography you prefered, macro or wide angle.

however, personally go for ulcs. At least the price worth for its quality.

I went with i-Das arms & clamps, which are a great value. Optical Ocean is close to you, so I expect that you'd get them pretty fast.

Manufacturer :: I-DAS -

I would also still recommend Ultralight. I've only had mine for a few years, but they still look brand new and I've had excellent experiences with their customer service.

Thanks all- I ended up going with Lightweight arms from Optical Ocean- their 6" ball arms are $9 to Ultralights $48- and the simple single rod design is easier for me. Can't imagine why anyone would pay $48 for the same thing... but that is just me : )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom