Koh Tao, Thailand - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welshman

Reaction score
Just come back from 3 weeks in Koh Samui of which 3 days were spent diving with Samui International Divers off Koh Tao.

First a word about SIDs - they were the only dive shop that bothered to reply to my email enquiry back in March about diving in the area. I found them very helpful, reasonably priced and the divemasters were knowledgeable about the sites.

Second the sites. I wasn't expecting anything great but the Chumphorn Pinnacles was a very good dive with a few reef sharks on location and plenty of other marine life - I dived this twice. Round the corner from Mango Bay was a really lovely dive - no great depth but lots of nice swim throughs and some nice rays. Dived twice at Aow Leuk which was pleasant enough - some nice nudibranches, and once at Hin Dang (?) bay - again more than OK.

I was due to dive South West Pinnacles and Sail Rock on Monday but the trip was cancelled. However, a pleasant 3 days diving.

The only real drawback is that even on a speed boat it was still 1.5 hours to get from Koh Samui to the dive sites and that assumed good weather. Last Wednesday the seas were quite high and it was a 2 hour trip back.

never went to koh samui but my understanding (correct me if Im wrong) is that the diving is more limited there than koh tao.

KT dive sites tend to split between west/south and north/east.. most of the year you'll dive west/south which will give you dive sites such as sw pinnacle, chumpon pinnacle, shark island, twins, red rock, green rock, white rock.. viz is better here (when conditions are good) than on the 'other side' of the island. I wouldn't fancy a long speed boat ride myself from koh samui to koh tao, I'd personally prefer to stay on koh tao myself

Greg

I think it's better to stay on Koh Tao too. The diving is also much cheaper than on Koh Samui. I was pleasantly surprised by the diving on Koh Tao. I was there a month ago but didn't really expect much considering it's reputation as an OW factory. However, on one dive on Chumpon Pinnacle, we saw at least 8 grey reef sharks.

I guess the biggest problem is the number of divers. And Koh Tao has quite a few cattle boats. If you're lucky enough to have the dive sites to yourself, it's great. If not, make sure you're the first in the water.

Jiveturkey is right, one way to get to chumpon for example and not have any other divers is to dive with a company like nangyuan divers and stay on their island. They're that much closer from nanyuan to chumpon than the other companies going from mae had that they can either get there earlier or after everyone else has left. Did a little bit of freelance with them and saw more sharks on those dives with them than on any other!

DORSETBOY:
never went to koh samui but my understanding (correct me if Im wrong) is that the diving is more limited there than koh tao.

Correct - diving off Samui described by one instructor as "crap"

KT dive sites tend to split between west/south and north/east.. most of the year you'll dive west/south which will give you dive sites such as sw pinnacle, chumpon pinnacle, shark island, twins, red rock, green rock, white rock.. viz is better here (when conditions are good) than on the 'other side' of the island. I wouldn't fancy a long speed boat ride myself from koh samui to koh tao, I'd personally prefer to stay on koh tao myself

Greg

You're quite right but Koh Tao looked a bit too rough and ready for my wife's tastes (and mine!)

Koh tao has gone up now, you're not sleeping on a mattress off the floor anymore,some places are quite good.

For the dive sites, chumpon pinnacles, hin dang, aow leuk and various divesites are just off koh tao, koh samui dive ops always head out there, well always... a lot... i spent 4 months on Koh tao and saw there boats a lot. it's a long trip everyday that's for sure.

Shame you didn't do sail rock... last dive i did over there, and it's the closest from Koh Samui (speed boat almost 2 hrs from Koh Tao) a wonderful chimney from 35->8 with 3 openings... beautiful dive, groupers, eels, triggers, nudibranches and many anemones with the little clown keeper.. moorish idols, a huge fauna and nice flora ... we were the only boat with 9 divers on board that day... awsome ... 2 dives of SailRock... and to say ... it rocked :)

good dives from koh tao are also southWest pinnacles, and shark island can be interesting... i'd have to get my books out to remember all the divesites names, but there's definately lots to do... and depending on the season... it's whaleShark dives out there :) (didn't have the chance myself... must admit.. :( )

milkathecow:
and depending on the season... it's whaleShark dives out there :) (didn't have the chance myself... must admit.. :( )

be aware though that some unscrupulous dive shops have been known to tell people fictitious sightings of whale sharks to get 'bums on seats'!

Koh Tao definately has some advantages; it is easy to get to, there is now all accomodation available from cheap to very expensive, you are a lot closer to the dive sites that at Samui and it is very cheap to dive and live.
Therefore Koh Tao is one of the cheapest places in the world to make our PADI courses, and this is confirmed by it obtaining the second highest amount of PADI certifications per year.
For experienced divers, they will find it a bit of a let down, as there is not a lot to see in terms of marine life, apart from at Chumphon & southwest pinnacles, plus if you are unlucky or choose the wronmg dive company you can be on a small dive site with over 100 other divers in the water.
If you are in the area, Koh Tao should not be missed, but as an experienced diver i wouldnt rush to book a holiday there, it is still mainly a place for backpackers...

I agree with ilandeemsdt ... full of backpackers (that's why i headed there in the first place :D) there are a few good divesites, but if the dive center is big, they must also be able to say ok... most diveshops are heading for Chumpon... let's go elsewhere... even if they are on the way.

For the gulf of Siam they are i'd say some of the nicest dives, obviously let's not make a comparison between red Sea, indian ocean maldives or other mexican gulf dives, as none can really be compared (even if many people during discussions do try to compare them...).

If we take thailand in it's globality, we can say that the andaman sea is the place which has the most to offer, koh phiphi and phuket (in the andaman sea) are quite good if you want to settle with a family (phuket mainly if you want comfort) and the dives off the king Cruiser and various shark point and so are nice, varied and you can head into koh phi phi for some dives in the reserve (hmm forget if it's phiphi leh for the reserve or the other)

Yes I was due to dive South West Pinnacles and Sail Rock last Monday but the trip was cancelled due to lack of take up more's the pity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom