Advice on new setup: Panasonic vs SeaLife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

accel_scuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm on a somewhat limited budget and I'm considering what to do as I venture into underwater photography / videography this summer.

I have a Nikon SLR that I won't take into the water... too important to me. I also have a great Panasonic DMC-LX5. So, I'm between the following setups:

1. Use the Panasomic DMC-LX5 with a Ikelite housing. I would add the Ikelite .56x wide angle lens, Light & Motion 500 lumen video light, Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe & cable, Nauticam flexitray with dual handles and 2 segments for an 8" arm, and a soft Ikelite case. $2100 delivered.

2. SeaLife DC1400 Maxx Duo. Comes with the housing fisheye wide angle lens, flash with sync cable, tray with 5" flex arms, 500 lumen video light, hard travel case. $1650 delivered (with a possible 5% discount on top of that).

I'm confused! I've read very mixed reviews of both. I'd definitely appreciate the flexibility of having a light/video/tray setup that can move cameras as skills/needs expand. On the other hand, $500 savings is significant.

I would love opinions, especially from anyone who uses these cameras.

Thanks!

Jason

The lx5 is a great camera but won't work well with the ikelite lens giving sever vignette
Better off with an inon uwlh100 type 1
I would also have 5+8 segments and a single diopter
If money allows get a sola dive 800 and you save yourself a dive light for night dive

The lx5 is a great camera but won't work well with the ikelite lens giving sever vignette
Better off with an inon uwlh100 type 1
I would also have 5+8 segments and a single diopter
If money allows get a sola dive 800 and you save yourself a dive light for night dive

Appreciate it -- I did read that about the ikelite lens. I like your setup recommendation, but I'm definitely not looking to add $500-800 to the price tag. :)

Hello Jason,

if you are used to a dSLR on land, you'll probably find yourself limited with the Sealife.

But as you pointed out, you wouldn't risk taking your SLR UW, just like I would not drag a bulky SLR on an off path mountain hike (too heavy, too much risk of breaking it), to the beach (sand, water, theft), etc. For those occasion I prefer to carry my Lumix DMC with super zoom, which is light and compact. And cheap to replace if something happens.

What about underwater? I don't have 5-10 k$ to fork out (I prefer to spend $ on dives, not gear), I don't want to lug around a microwave-sized rig when diving (dSLRs cases are huge) and since I do a lot of snorkelling, I want something light and rugged: Sealife it is!

I LOOOOVE my Sealife.

Very compact, very rugged and very easy to get great pictures. I now have the DC1400 with one flash + wide eye lens + 3X lens. Yes there are limitations (slower focus time, limited controls, limited expandability, not great as a land cam) but you get great bang for your buck. I would not recommend it to someone who's dedicated to SLRs, but it's an awesome entry-level cam for the casual uw photographer, and can also take awesome pictures that rivals with those from 10 k$ rig.

Perhaps you should look into renting one on your next dive (did that before I bought mine).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom