Hollis DC1/212 Free Flows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone out there diving a Hollis DC1 first stage/212 second stage and having problems with free flows? My regs are less than a year old and I have about zero confidence in them. I have had free flows on my necklace, several times, just jumping in off of a boat and I've had two free flows just taking the primary second stage out of my mouth to switch regs (to my sling tank). Confidence is about as low as it can get when you're at 120 ft and have a free flow just taking the second stage out of my mouth. I've had these regs tuned, checked out, rebuilt, etc, etc, etc. I'm not happy. Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Sounds like they have an aggressive venturi and are tuned to breathe as easily as possible.

Make sure that the venturi lever is set on "minus" both on the surface and when switching regs.
Screw in the adjustment knob a turn or two will also help when you are not actually breathing on the reg.
Adjust the orifice screw 1/8 turn in.

Anyone out there diving a Hollis DC1 first stage/212 second stage and having problems with free flows? My regs are less than a year old and I have about zero confidence in them. I have had free flows on my necklace, several times, just jumping in off of a boat and I've had two free flows just taking the primary second stage out of my mouth to switch regs (to my sling tank). Confidence is about as low as it can get when you're at 120 ft and have a free flow just taking the second stage out of my mouth. I've had these regs tuned, checked out, rebuilt, etc, etc, etc. I'm not happy. Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Hi Decobeaver,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your 212/DC1, sounds like an adjustment issue. I would like to refer you to our customer service team at 888-383-DIVE. We would like to help get this sorted for you.

Thanks,
Nick

I've put about 25 dives on DC1 / 212 set up. I had a similar issue with a free flow when I jumped in (2 times), but adjusting the venturi leaver lever worked for me. I haven't had the issue when switching between regs U/W.

Thanks guys. Actually got a Holllis rep involved through the local shop and they have manufactured rebuild kits for these regs. They changed the design on the spring in the second stage, increasing the length and changing the hardness. So, being an engineer, springs are sensitive to geometry and hardness. Changing both........yikes! They've got a big problem with this lot/series of regs. But, it sounds like they have it figured out, and after going through adjustment after adjustment with no improvement I was actually relieved to hear about the spring, its something concrete.

Thanks DB, that's good to know. I've had a free flow on a DC1/212 that I couldn't stop underwater -- just about drained my tank in a couple of minutes. True it wasn't from jumping off the boat -- that worked fine -- but there were a bunch of sea lions playing with us and they'd play in my bubble stream when I purged my second stage, so mine was a freeflow on a purge while messing around with sea lions.

I had the same problem with mine that I purchased in February. Is there a known fix for This? This was my first I've ever owned And it fought me for my entire dive vacation!

I had this reg combo & got rid of it because of several unresolved issues over several years but thought I would keep the 212 second to use as an octo on my necklace. As an octo it freeflowed every time I jumped in the water & I had the venturi set to pre dive & the adjustment knob all the way in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom